I'm looking for a good posole recipe

Options
I've been craving spicy food for a couple days, and think a good bowl of posole may do the trick. Does anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

Replies

• messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make mine with chicken - I love it and now will have to make it this weekend!

my recipe:

6-8 thighs
    6-8 tomatoes - I use Roma's
    one yellow onion
    jalapeno peppers - amount depends on how spicy you like it
    one bunch of cilantro
    one avocado
    one lime - just the juice
    1/2 red pepper
    can of hominy - I use the yellow & will sometimes put in two cans
    5-6 chicken bouillon cubes

I use a big stock pot - add chicken thighs and brown on both sides. While thighs are browning, I add all the other ingredients (except the hominy & the bouillon cubes) to my food processor and process till its basically smooth. Should look like salsa and this is actually how I make my salsa too! Pour mixture in the stockpot that has your thighs and add hominy and bouillon cubes, fill pot a little over halfway with water and bring to a boil. I let it boil for a bit and then turn it down to simmer for a few hours. After a few hours, de-bone the chicken and discard the skin.

I cut up more jalapenos, onion, shred lettuce and crumble mexican cheese and we put that on top of our bowl of soup.

It is amazing. I am honestly making it this weekend now!
  • messyhare
    Options
    I just threw mine together for dinner tonight! Can't wait - my whole house smells amazing...

Will this recipe work for you?
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Superfast Chicken Posole

You'll probably use all the breast meat from one standard rotisserie chicken for this soup. Look for canned tomatillos in the Mexican foods section of your supermarket.

Total: 20 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 2 tablespoons avocado, and 1 radish)

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (8-ounce) package prechopped onion and celery mix
    4 canned tomatillos, drained and coarsely chopped
    2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (15-ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
    2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
    4 radishes, thinly sliced
    Cilantro leaves (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through onion and celery mix); sauté 2 minutes. Stir in tomatillos; cook 1 minute. Add broth and hominy; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook 8 minutes. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly among 4 bowls. Top with avocado and radish. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    11.2g (sat 2.2g,mono 5.9g,poly 2g)
    Protein:
    28.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    20.2g
    Fiber:
    4.5g
    Cholesterol:
    60mg
    Iron:
    2.4mg
    Sodium:
    452mg
    Calcium:
    62mg
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I make mine with chicken - I love it and now will have to make it this weekend!

my recipe:

6-8 thighs
    6-8 tomatoes - I use Roma's
    one yellow onion
    jalapeno peppers - amount depends on how spicy you like it
    one bunch of cilantro
    one avocado
    one lime - just the juice
    1/2 red pepper
    can of hominy - I use the yellow & will sometimes put in two cans
    5-6 chicken bouillon cubes

I use a big stock pot - add chicken thighs and brown on both sides. While thighs are browning, I add all the other ingredients (except the hominy & the bouillon cubes) to my food processor and process till its basically smooth. Should look like salsa and this is actually how I make my salsa too! Pour mixture in the stockpot that has your thighs and add hominy and bouillon cubes, fill pot a little over halfway with water and bring to a boil. I let it boil for a bit and then turn it down to simmer for a few hours. After a few hours, de-bone the chicken and discard the skin.

I cut up more jalapenos, onion, shred lettuce and crumble mexican cheese and we put that on top of our bowl of soup.

It is amazing. I am honestly making it this weekend now!

This sounds very easy and yummy! can you tell me aprox how many servings this makes? and do you have any nutrion info?
  • messyhare
    Options

This sounds very easy and yummy! can you tell me aprox how many servings this makes? and do you have any nutrion info?

I just entered into my diary so yep I have all that info! It is at least 10 servings with each serving of soup only being this:

135 calories
    10 carbs
    5 fat
    12 protein
    788 sodium 1 fiber

We top it with lettuce, onions, jalapenos and sometimes avocado if I have it, also a mexican cheese usually but tonight it is just shredded string cheeses I had in fridge. I don't have the info for that yet, just the soup itself. Hope you like it!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I just entered into my diary so yep I have all that info! It is at least 10 servings with each serving of soup only being this:

135 calories
    10 carbs
    5 fat
    12 protein
    788 sodium 1 fiber

We top it with lettuce, onions, jalapenos and sometimes avocado if I have it, also a mexican cheese usually but tonight it is just shredded string cheeses I had in fridge. I don't have the info for that yet, just the soup itself. Hope you like it!

Thanks!! It's been super hot out here in Southern California so I'm going to have to wait until it cools off some, but I can't wait to try this!
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    Thank you for the recipes, I will try making some tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay in thanking you, I didn't see that anyone had responded, I have to tweek my notifictions.:smile: