op/ed on antibiotics and the "obesity epidemic"

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
In 2002 Americans were about an inch taller and 24 pounds heavier than they were in the 1960s, and more than a third are now classified as obese. Of course, diet and lifestyle are prime culprits. But some scientists wonder whether there could be other reasons for this staggering transformation of the American body. Antibiotics might be the X factor — or one of them.

Martin J. Blaser, the director of the Human Microbiome Program and a professor of medicine and microbiology at New York University, is exploring that mystery. In 1980, he was the salmonella surveillance officer for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, going to farms to investigate outbreaks. He remembers marveling at the amount of antibiotic powder that farmers poured into feed. “I began to think, what is the meaning of this?” he told me.

Of course, while farm animals often eat a significant dose of antibiotics in food, the situation is different for human beings. By the time most meat reaches our table, it contains little or no antibiotics. So we receive our greatest exposure in the pills we take, rather than the food we eat. American kids are prescribed on average about one course of antibiotics every year, often for ear and chest infections. Could these intermittent high doses affect our metabolism?

To find out, Dr. Blaser and his colleagues have spent years studying the effects of antibiotics on the growth of baby mice. In one experiment, his lab raised mice on both high-calorie food and antibiotics. “As we all know, our children’s diets have gotten a lot richer in recent decades,” he writes in a book, “Missing Microbes,” due out in April. At the same time, American children often are prescribed antibiotics. What happens when chocolate doughnuts mix with penicillin?

The results of the study were dramatic, particularly in female mice: They gained about twice as much body fat as the control-group mice who ate the same food. “For the female mice, the antibiotic exposure was the switch that converted more of those extra calories in the diet to fat, while the males grew more in terms of both muscle and fat,” Dr. Blaser writes. “The observations are consistent with the idea that the modern high-calorie diet alone is insufficient to explain the obesity epidemic and that antibiotics could be contributing.”

(whole article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/opinion/sunday/the-fat-drug.html)

Replies

• first01
    first01 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    “The observations are consistent with the idea that the modern high-calorie diet alone is insufficient to explain the obesity epidemic

My modern high-calorie diet sure explains my obesity.

really-pl-ffffff-3.jpeg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I wish they would link actually studies. Just a guess, but i would suspect that the dosage for mise would exceed what a human being would get in a lifetime. Personally I haven't used antibiotics very much at all. And no antibiotics in meat doesn't count, as they've pointed out.