Bummed and Gorging :(

army_munchkin
army_munchkin Posts: 52
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
So this morning was my weigh in day, I was so eager to see how much progress i'd made because I did so amazing last week only to look at the scale and find I had gone up .4 lbs. GREAT! so all that hard work for a week and for nothing, which of course has sent me into a downward spiral of eating everything in site (like I do when I'm in "crisis") which is what got me here in the first place! I know tomorrow I will be more motivated and getting back to exercise and proper diet but as for tonight I can't do it on my own!!!

Replies

• katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    I find the process of tracing every bit of food and every drink on the food diary slows me down.. those red numbers when i go over one of my daily goals is enough to stop me.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Don't worry! It wasn't all for nothing. There are a lot of other things that show progress other than the number on the scale. Just the fact that you are making healthier choices makes it worth it in the end!! Remember it wouldn't always be easy but it was ALWAYS be worth it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Put down your food and ask yourself if eating makes ANYTHING better. (Your answer should be NO :wink: ) Emotional eating is a hard thing to conquer, but you need to figure out your triggers (obviously disappointment is one!) then make a PLAN on what to do instead of eating. If you're disappointed, spend some time planning your meals for next week so you'll be prepared, vent to a friend, write in a journal, watch a movie to get your mind off things, go for a jog - there are so many ways we can vent our emotions without eating! Only YOU can take the steps you need to make sure this doesn't happen again, but you CAN get over this and you CAN re-wire your reactions so that eating is no longer your first response.

Also, make an honest list of all the reasons you want to lose weight and be healthy - serious, funny, selfish - all the reasons. Read them out loud. Remind yourself WHY you're doing this. Keep this list handy so you can pull it out anytime you feel your motivation crumbling. If you're artistic, you can make a collage or something else that represents these motivations.

By reminding yourself WHY you WANT this, and helping yourself respond in a more healthy way to emotions, you'll be on the path to weight loss in no time! :flowerforyou:

(And don't stress over gaining a little - unless you majorly overate, you didn't really gain that weight - you likely retained water for one reason or another. Sometimes bodies need a little time to adjust to new diets and exercise, especialy if you are making a drastic change, or went for a long time on too little calories (and are now eating a healthy amount).
  • I've found that when I start exercising a lot, I will start gaining muscle before the fat is burned. This will send the scale in the wrong direction initially (especially because muscle weighs more than fat), but if you can keep on track and give it time, those muscles will burning up the fat quick! Hang in there! :)
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Same here for me today. Up .8 pounds. I've been working out more and trying to do more cardio and I went up!!! but I got on here and told everyone how bummed I was and I worked out twice today and ate good food and drank my water. This place is the place that I have gotten the most motivation in my life. My BF doesn't wanna hear about it; I think it embarrasses him and he's just nervous (and he's super thin) about what to say to not hurt my feelings.....so no support there. My skinny friends just say, "Great" My fat friends don't say much of anything......so I get all of my support from this place. Spend your time here and we can do this together and not blow a week in one day. I so needed it, and I SO got it. Thanks to all my friends and I'll send you a friend request. ;)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    It does take time and lots of effort. Remember we did not put it on that quickly - it's gonna take time to come off. Muscle - Water - lots of answers but you have to keep at it and remind yourself that you are eating and exercising to be HEALTHY! It will come off - logging and tracking exercise is sure working for me. Tomorrow is another day - it's YOU DAY!
  • Put down your food and ask yourself if eating makes ANYTHING better. (Your answer should be NO :wink: ) Emotional eating is a hard thing to conquer, but you need to figure out your triggers (obviously disappointment is one!) then make a PLAN on what to do instead of eating. If you're disappointed, spend some time planning your meals for next week so you'll be prepared, vent to a friend, write in a journal, watch a movie to get your mind off things, go for a jog - there are so many ways we can vent our emotions without eating! Only YOU can take the steps you need to make sure this doesn't happen again, but you CAN get over this and you CAN re-wire your reactions so that eating is no longer your first response.

Also, make an honest list of all the reasons you want to lose weight and be healthy - serious, funny, selfish - all the reasons. Read them out loud. Remind yourself WHY you're doing this. Keep this list handy so you can pull it out anytime you feel your motivation crumbling. If you're artistic, you can make a collage or something else that represents these motivations.

By reminding yourself WHY you WANT this, and helping yourself respond in a more healthy way to emotions, you'll be on the path to weight loss in no time! :flowerforyou:

(And don't stress over gaining a little - unless you majorly overate, you didn't really gain that weight - you likely retained water for one reason or another. Sometimes bodies need a little time to adjust to new diets and exercise, especialy if you are making a drastic change, or went for a long time on too little calories (and are now eating a healthy amount).

I love this advice, I always stop and think this is EXACTLY WHY I AM TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT! But other then that, all the hard work I've done, all the things I've learned about food, and I turn to it again??

I stop, log whatever I've done, pop in Turbo Jam, and punch, kick, and jab all that stress out. Then I shower and get a good night's sleep.

.4 isn't that much and it could just be water, remember your goals and that you're here to make a better you!
    We are all behind ya! *hug
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Well, obviously your scale is broken ;) - this happened to me as well. I actually gained a pound and a half. I was so mad. And I wasn't eating anymore. Try weighing yourself again tomorrow. When this happened to me, I kept on. This past week, I've lost about 2 lbs. So I think it made up for the weight I gained. Women's bodies are weird. We can gain three pounds in water weight for no reason.
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    army_munchkin...Don't give up. A friend on here told me to look at my sodium levels when I went up a couple of pounds. She suggessted I drink more water because the sodium will cause the scale to go up. I don't know how often you are weighing but I have gone to weighing only once a month and so I see a bigger result when I do. I also am concious about how my clothes are fitting. Sometimes we lose inches but the scales don't move. At least that is how it's been for me.

Best of luck. Remember tomorrow is a new day.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Put down your food and ask yourself if eating makes ANYTHING better. (Your answer should be NO :wink: ) Emotional eating is a hard thing to conquer, but you need to figure out your triggers (obviously disappointment is one!) then make a PLAN on what to do instead of eating. If you're disappointed, spend some time planning your meals for next week so you'll be prepared, vent to a friend, write in a journal, watch a movie to get your mind off things, go for a jog - there are so many ways we can vent our emotions without eating! Only YOU can take the steps you need to make sure this doesn't happen again, but you CAN get over this and you CAN re-wire your reactions so that eating is no longer your first response.

Excellent advice. I just grabbed a pen and paper and made my own list to keep handy. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.