barefoot running

Just going to start running (with a coach). I want to get some barefoot running shoes with the intention of eventually going completely barefoot. Anyone recommend any CHEAP (that means cheap - reduced, not cheap rubbish) barefoot shoes? I am also going to ask the coach when I see him, but he probably doesn't use anything below £70 and I am looking at less than £50 please. I don't fancy the vibrams as they are soooo ugly.

THANKS

Replies

• Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    If you are paying a coach then wait until you start working with that person. You may be wasting your money otherwise. There are a bunch of different approaches to "barefoot".
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Without knowing the cost in the UK and your feet/history it's always hard to recommend shoes.
    However look at the Innov-8 range, they might have something in your price/suitable.
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    I have a pair of Karrimor duma. They're not completely barefoot but are super light and flexible. They were ... £40 in Sports Direct. Good for a start off.....
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Well I've got a pair of $100 pair vibrams, and absolutely adore them. The cool thing is that their age doesn't really matter (over a year old with constant use) as there's no padding to break down. They only need to be replaced if you take a knife to them pretty much.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    talk with the coach, as what he or she recommends.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    I will speak with the coach I think but I know, after paying him plus my gym fees, I won't be able to afford very expensive trainers. I don't want to run competitively either, just for fun, and I might do some 5k runs for charity or something.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I hear the new balance minimus things are good transitional ones.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Yeah, so, if this is a "barefoot" coach he/she may have you go completely without shoes. Many believe the whole transitional thing is a bad idea. You need to know the philosophy of the coach.

I ran a couple thousand miles in cheap clearance water shoes that I bought for less than the equivalent of £1 each so you definitely don't have to spend much money. There are a lot of alternatives that aren't "minimalist running shoes" (e.g., chuck taylors). But, again, you really should know your coach's philosophy first.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Yeah, so, if this is a "barefoot" coach he/she may have you go completely without shoes. Many believe the whole transitional thing is a bad idea. You need to know the philosophy of the coach.

I ran a couple thousand miles in cheap clearance water shoes that I bought for less than the equivalent of £1 each so you definitely don't have to spend much money. There are a lot of alternatives that aren't "minimalist running shoes" (e.g., chuck taylors). But, again, you really should know your coach's philosophy first.

My coach runs in trainers and these string sandal things, he only rarely runs completely barefoot.
    I hope to get some clearance shoes too, good quality but last seasons is just fine.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 145 Member
    If he's running in sandals, may be these which aren't too bad a price:

http://xeroshoes.com/index-nav-mwc.php

I dunno how shipping would be depending on where you are though :/