Closing your diary for the day

Options
I am just curious as to when most people close their food diary for the day. I usually close my at night before I go to bed. Do you pre-log and close early? Do you wait until the next morning? Or, like me, before you go to bed?

Replies

• nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I close mine after dinner, when I know I'm not going to eat anything else. If I think I may want something else, I wait until later. I share my computer, so sometimes I can't get online in the evening, so then I wait until the next morning to finish my diary. I use a notebook all day and write my food down so I don't forget anything; if I can't get online (at work, for example) then I know I wont' forget to log something.
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I close mine right before bed , if i close it anytime before i would be tempted not to input the the last thing i ate.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    before bed usually - you never know if you will feel snacky - sometimes I forget to close it :ohwell:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I almost never close mine. When I first started with MFP, I thought it was required. Turns out it doesn't change anything. The only thing it does is post something on my feed and tell me (usually incorrectly) where I'll be in 5 weeks.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I close mine before bed. Having the ap for my phone makes it easy to log food while I'm out of the house or can't get to my computer
  • Auntzeus
    Auntzeus Posts: 5
    Options
    I think if you forget to close before midnite, it will not long the continued days logged in. Meaning if I light in every day 5 days in a row but forget to log out or close on day 6' the continued days log in resets to zero... It doesn't bother me because I know I've accounted for everything.. But ut is nice to glance and see how many days you have been "faithful"
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think if you forget to close before midnite, it will not long the continued days logged in. Meaning if I light in every day 5 days in a row but forget to log out or close on day 6' the continued days log in resets to zero... It doesn't bother me because I know I've accounted for everything.. But ut is nice to glance and see how many days you have been "faithful"

This is incorrect. Like I said, I almost never close my diary. My current days in a row is something like 134 days. The last time it reset was because I was down at Disney and forgot my phone in the hotel room, so I didn't get to log anything, open the app, or visit the webpage until after midnight. If you open the app or webpage (while logged in) at all during the day, it counts the day towards your streak. You could even open the app, log nothing, and it will still count the day.

Edit: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/3947149-what-am-i-doing-wrong-to-mess-up-counter-
    This question talks about what messes the counter up. Any lack of activity for more than 24 hours will reset your counter.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/314052-what-does-the-"complete-this-entry"-or-"finish-logging-for-today"-feature-do-

This one talks about what completing actually does. Like I said, it provides that "5 week weight" prediction. And, it posts to your feed (if you have that enabled). The only thing that happens if you click is after midnight, it won't post to your feed. It's not related to your streak though.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I almost never close mine. When I first started with MFP, I thought it was required. Turns out it doesn't change anything. The only thing it does is post something on my feed and tell me (usually incorrectly) where I'll be in 5 weeks.

Totally this. Closing it just has MFP telling me that I'll gain in five weeks when it's not true, so I don't close mine any more. It makes absolutely no difference to anything, unless you like getting the comments from your friends about it (which is fine if you do!)
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually close mine before I go to bed (or at least before midnight), but sometimes I do close it earlier and I end up just adding to it and reclose it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I never bother closing it. I don't see the point.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just before I go to bed. I always save some calories for the evening and have a range of snacks to choose from so I don't log until I've had everything.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I close it using the app as I'm going through my bedtime routine.
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    Just before I go to sleep :D
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If there is room for changes, like on the weekend, I wait until I got bed. During the week, I prelog and complete entry around 4:30pm before I head off to school. My schedule doesn't allow for very much to change after that time. Every so often I change the snack I have though and it's no big deal to change it once you've "completed" it,
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I usually close mine after dinner. That way, if I binge later, it doesn't count. :blushing:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I close mine after my evening snack. I don't usually pre-log my snack because it will depend on how hungry I am and how many calories I have left for the day. Once I decide on my snack and log it, I close my diary. Any water after that point doesn't get counted.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I close mine around 9pm, after dinner. I'm not a snacker sort of person (nope, it was great big glorious teas and puddings that did for me!) and can't remember the last time I ate after dinner. Also just drink water on a night, usually, if I'm having wine or something horrifically calorific, I'll pre-log, but as this usually falls on a 'treat' day, I don't tend to get over anxious if I don't.

Works for me!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I close mine shortly before I go to bed. If I have another snack planned for the night I'll log that ahead of time and then close. I like closing it, it gives me a chance to reflect on the day and sort of feels like I'm officially ending my eating for that day.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    If I close mine, it's at night after I'm done eating for the night. I don't always do it, it doesn't seem all that important. It does feel awesome to be on a 70 logging streak though!!

Have a great Sunday everyone :flowerforyou:
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I don't close it out anymore, only bc I don't like the 5-week mind-games. I eat different foods every day, (different or none) workouts, etc.

I do like "ending" the day, but I decided to not do it for the time being.

(PS: It does NOT effect your "streak" of number of days logged.)