Protein

Options
According to IIFYM.com I should eat 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight...does this sound right? Over 200 grams of protein seems like a lot and I am having trouble getting that much...tips?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Don't try to add any more protein than you want to eat because the general recommendations of the site.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need a high protein diet unless you are doing major body building.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It should be per pound of LEAN body mass I thought? You need to know what your body fat percentage is then subtract that weight from your total weight. If I am 40% body fat, than I am 60% lean body mass. If I were 200lbs, I would take 60% of that (120) and eat that many grams of protein. You could probably do .8 per lb of LBM if you aren't lifting weights. I had to reduce mine to about .6 because I kept getting constipated with all that protein. TMI, I know. :\
  • tariksehovic
    tariksehovic Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    High Protein is essential to help to skin tighten up , or dry you out

1 gram is just enough,

As for tips :

- invest in some quality protein (at least $50/5Lbs, 100% Gold Standard, ISOFLEX, Cor-Whey )

Each one of these supplements has around 25g of protein per serving

This makes it very easy to add protein to your diet,

IF you are having trouble reaching 200 , start with 100 set yourself a goal and try to pass it before a certain time ( i.e 12 noon)

Here are some examples of foods that carry 6-8grams of protein.

* Chicken breast (white meat) boneless/skinless 1 oz or 28.35g
    * Turkey breast (LEAN) 1 oz or 28.35g
    * Fresh fish (cod, haddock, halibut, tuna (canned in water), tilapia) 1 oz or 28.35g

* Shell fish (crab, lobster, shrimp) 1.25 oz or 35.5g

* Egg whites

* Egg Beaters
    2 or 67g

¼ cup or 2.15 oz or 61g

* Non-fat cottage cheese ¼ cup or 2 oz or 57 g
    * Salmon Fillet 1 oz or 28.35g
    * Lean Sirloin ¾ oz or 21.25g

* Egg (including yolk) 1 or 50g
    * Cheese 2% (Reduced Fat) 1 oz or 28.35g
    * Salmon 1 oz or 28.35g
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1g of protien per 1lb of LBM is plenty.

I eat 120g a day and I don't need any supplements.

lots of lean protien, greek yogurt, skim milk, cheese, eggs etc.
  • tariksehovic
    Options

230g a day is easily attained without supplements
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options

230g a day is easily attained without supplements

Cool?

1g per lb of body weight for somebody whose goal is to lose weight, NOT build more muscle is way too much. She should be eating .8-1g per pound LEAN Body Mass, regardless of how easy it is for you to reach your protein goal without supplements.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    According to IIFYM.com I should eat 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight...does this sound right? Over 200 grams of protein seems like a lot and I am having trouble getting that much...tips?

Like others have said, it's lean body mass, which is anything but body fat. Try setting you macros to 50%25%/25% carbs/protein/fat and use the protein and fat numbers as MINIMUMS. Once you are able to consistently meet those minimums, change it to 40/30/30. I would also recommend that you start a lifting program asap. There's a couple of great beginner programs: Stronglifts.com, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • tariksehovic
    Options
    TO build muscle, 1.2-1.5grams ...

Protein is essential for fat loss
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    TO build muscle, 1.2-1.5grams ...

Protein is essential for fat loss

Sure, but the OP's goal is weight loss not to build muscle. So .8-1g per pound of LBM is what she should ideally be aiming for to help preserve the LBM that she currently has while losing fat. Nobody is suggesting that protein is not essential for weight loss. Every reply I see in this thread is agreeing that she SHOULD be getting protein.