Too Skinny after 30 pound weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• rangerstyle
    Options
    I only took out my face because it seems sort of strange to put a picture like this on the internet..I'm totally new to something like this. I will put a normal profile picture up at some point; if anything I have more confidence in my face and the body thing is the new part.

I like how people are so good with feedback on this forum and do appreciate it. My whole family has had weight issues, so it is odd for them to see me look this as some have said.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Skinny is no fat and no muscle. You have little fat and good muscle tone. Buy yourself a scale that measures body fat as week as weight, not that expensive. If you want to put on muscle, you need to eat. Once you are happy with your maintenance calories, increase your protein intake by small amounts each day and check your weight and fat levels. Don't go mad, and you will get the optimum calorie intake to grow. When I was cycling regularly as training for rock climbing I kept getting told I was too skinny. My body fat was very low, but I was very strong and very fit; I felt great, slept well, my head was in a good place. The skinny comments did effect me some, but not enough to make me change. Do it for you, not your sister.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Plus you said its your sister, I don't know why but female relatives tend to say you look ill as soon as you get to the point of being lean, as you just look smaller in your usual clothes. I dunno it could be they think you should have a bit more fat than your should (as females have I higher body fat than men) so they assumed you've lost TOO Much to get to that point, when in reality healthy average isn't even that fatty on a man, and you're just leaner than that.

I'm 5'9 and I would say my goal Walk around weight would be around 162, yes I will lose down to 147 first to get lean enough, but as soon as i'm eating normally I expect to sit around that weight. A good estimate is at what weight did you start to look 'in shape' clothed? thats they weight you should go back upto but leaner. Then you won't be told you look sick as you'll won't look Undersized.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not skinny, you have low bodyfat...

presumably your sister saw you with your top on? it might just be that your face looks a lot thinner because of the lack of bodyfat, which caused her to use the word 'skinny'.

what does your wife think? she's the one who has to look at you every day, after all!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I don't think you look too skinny at all. It can come as a bit of a shock when someone you love loses a lot of weight. My Dad has always been a big guy, but when he had cancer a couple of years ago he had lost a lot of weight by the time he had the all clear, and although he was actually the healthiest weight he'd been in years, the look of him terrified me. I thought he looked like he was still ill.

She will get used to it - it sounds like a normal reaction to me.
  • rangerstyle
    Options
    I decided to just use my sister's words as motivation. It really helped me overcome the time difference at this mornings workout :)

I do have a question. Can anyone estimate my body fat in this picture? I use a calipers, but always seem to get a reading of 10-12% Is this correct? I'm not sure I am measuring in the right place though that does seem likely correct.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    10-12% body fat seems right.

You're actually at the perfect level to add muscle without gaining fat.