Diabetic, fat & tired of the fight

Options
2»

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am not a diabetic but after reading your post and others that have diabetes I thought I would post.
    I have been obese my entire life, tried every diet there was. I was a member of Weight Watchers before age 10 and loss and gained many times on WW but never reached my goal.

What worked for me was weight loss surgery. For those with diabetes when WLS is done either sleeve or bypass the diabetes goes away almost before you leave the hospital after your surgery I have heard many many times.

Alot of people think WLS is taking the easy way out and it isn't. Believe me I know! I worked out 5 times a week pre op and post op and now at maintence work out at the gym 2-4 times a week. I log every pc of food that goes into my mouth. I did loose 47 pounds pre op doing 1200 cals a day and many would say "well you were doing so good, you don't need surgery" but I knew to continue on to loose all the weight I needed and then keep it off the surgery is what I needed.

You can friend me if you like and read my profile and my journey.

Good luck!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on the fight. Last September my A1C was 10.5 and I was put on Lantus. It took 25 units to get my fasting sugars under control. My doctor recommended MFP in October, and since then I've lost over 60 lbs. I am no longer taking Lantus and my A1C was 5.5 when it was checked last week. Admittedly the A1C was while I was on Lantus and tapering down due to the weight loss.

I know everyone's diabetes is different, but for me here is what is working....
    1) Eat lots of protein. I average over 100g per day, and I'm actually increasing that. Yes protein is processed into glucose in the blood, but much more slowly than carbohydrates. This has helped me keep my glucose more stable. I do use protein powders to help achieve my protein goals.
    2) Reduce carbs. I am usually in the 110g to 130g range. To be honest the focus on protein has automatically reduced the calories available for carbs. I never hit the carb goals recommended by MFP.
    3) Nothing is a 'forbidden' food. If I have room for it in my calories and macros for the day, then it is OK. That includes the occasional slice of pizza or piece of cheesecake if that is what I'm craving.
    4) Exercise. I worked my way up to 45 minutes per day, and then increased the intensity. Even though I've lost weight I'm burning almost as many calories because I've increased the intensity. Once I felt like the cardio was a 'habit', I added in strength training 3 times per week to help preserve lean body mass as I lose weight.

And most importantly. Take it one day at a time. I wake up with two goals: (1) eat under my calorie goal. (2) exercise at least 30 minutes. I know if I can string enough days together where I do those two things, I will be healthier and the weight will be lost.

It takes hard work and dedication, but you can do it!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic - I started at 340lbs - was taking 60 units of Novolog in the morning and evening each with a metformin chaser 3 times a day. So I was pretty uncontrolled. Today I am not taking any additional prescriptions for diabetes and A1C numbers are generally in the 5-6 range

I took and still take cholesterol and high blood pressure meds (just a lot less)

I totally changed my diet and way of eating and eventually started incorporating some exercise - not gung ho, but I pretty much walk daily

I saw you mentioned that you love food - well so did I... when I started developing more in your face problems like eye nerve damage and issues walking, I decided that I love myself a whole lot more than food. Then I learned that you can love good healthy food just as much as you can love fried, full of fat and sugar food.

I welcome and support you in your decision to make a change, but ultimately it is all on you (and believe me, if someone as unmotivated and lazy as I was can do it, I am pretty sure it can be done)

Good luck and welcome!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like the way you say that 'I decided I love myself more than food' and that 'I discovered I can love good, healthy food'. Those are powerful statements! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I'm a type 2 since December. I've been able to get my blood work back to normal using diet, exercise and metformin. My doc said I could go back off the metformin if I wanted to try it. I said heck no, I'm finally losing weight while taking it and I'm not messing with a good thing just yet.

Anyone looking for a friend, feel free to send me a request.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    An A1C creeping up to 7.0 prompted my to heed my doctors advice to lose weight. I am 51, 5'4" and weighed 232 last December (2012) when I joined MFP. I started logging my food, sticking to 1200 daily calories and had modest success. After I realized I wanted to eat more than a measly calories, I researched I upped my activity to daily walks and eat about 1800-1900 calories. I have lost 38lbs, decreased my Metformin by half (500mg/day) and my doctor thinks I can get off my cholesterol and hypertension medications also.

You can do this - good luck.