measuring salt

Options
Heliconia
Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
This may seem like a stupid question. I understand I can measure the salt I use in baking for instance but how do I measure the salt that I use that comes out of the salt shaker? Do I use a measuring spoon and measure out 1/4 teaspoon, and then just sprinkle it on my food w my fingers? Is there a better way?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Unless you're tracking sodium for medical reasons or using a large amount of salt I wouldn't worry about it.

Or like you said - just measure it out and sprinkle it on... If you're using a food scale you can put your plate on the scale tare it out and then sprinkle, but I think you'd have to add a lot of salt to even get to a gram.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    try shaking it into your palm, and then measuring that. then you can just put it on our food from there. i wouldnt worry about it. unless you are going to town with the salt shaker AND have health issues, i doubt its going to make a huge deal.
  • Heliconia
    Options
    I am just worried about my high blood pressure. I have never before cut back salt like they say you should, but I guess when a person starts to lose weight they also think about other things they can do to be healthy.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have to severely watch my salt, so if I am using real salt (which isn't as much as I'd like, and I LOVE salt!) I will either put some in the palm of my hand, measure it and then sprinkle it on with my fingers. It's easier if you can just use s measuring spoon and go directly from the bag. Have you tried no salt seasonings?
  • Heliconia
    Options
    Ya, I have just recently bought some No-Salt and it isn't bad. If anything it seems to taste saltier. I will try to use it as much as possible. Yes, I love my salt as well. I did read once that not everybody's blood pressure is effected by salt intake. Of course I have no idea if I am part of those lucky ones but I have had high blood pressure since my early 30s. Smoking, drinking, heredity ...who knows? I quit smoking decades ago and just recently quit drinking but of course the damage is already done.
  • Jmttrucking77
    Options
    Help! I have a salt problem! I'm admitting it though. I don't know how to kick the habit. I did it before. I stopped eating it, but now (51 lbs down later) I'm having salt cravings again. I've been reading it could be due to lack of dairy? I don't eat any dairy but eggs which doesn't really count but how do I tell my brain NO salt?? Salt substitute is not for me I've tried it. And when I say I love salt let me just be honest and say I enjoy it on the rim of my glass of orange juice daily. I use it in my food. I like to dip a finger in the margarita salt to have a taste kind of situation. No high blood pressure either, I just love it and it's bad for me :(

37754965.png\