Unnatural Sugar?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Does it have an opposite?
  • kirstylewis16
    kirstylewis16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I dont get that either, sugar is natural, it comes from a plant either cane or beet
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it means sugar present naturally in the food - as opposed to added sugar in processed food. Not that it still isn't naturally sourced

EDIT: In answer to the question - the other way round lol
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Plastic sugar. Like the kind that comes with play kitchens.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup: invented in 1957 through enzymatic action. Made up of Glucose with a fructose conversion process.
    It is cheap so widely replaced more expensive cane and beet sugar which are sucrose. It is unnatural since it is invented.

I avoid HFCS not matter what TV propaganda bombards with all sugar is equal. Then all calories are equal and a 200 calorie candy bar or buttercream frosting is as equal to the body as oatmeal and honey. I don't think so.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    'Artificial Sour'

duh.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup: invented in 1957 through enzymatic action. Made up of Glucose with a fructose conversion process.
    It is cheap so widely replaced more expensive cane and beet sugar which are sucrose. It is unnatural since it is invented.

I avoid HFCS not matter what TV propaganda bombards with all sugar is equal. Then all calories are equal and a 200 calorie candy bar or buttercream frosting is as equal to the body as oatmeal and honey. I don't think so.

Bees use enzymatic processing to convert water and various sugars into honey. Do you eschew honey as well?

ETA: I think you are confusing a' calorie is a calorie' with 'all nutrients are created equal'. The first is true, the second is false. I don't think you will find anyone will argue on that point.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

By that definition you'd have to exclude protein powder, most supplements, and a ton of other products. All sorts of things you ingest are precursors to other chemicals and substances. Your body is performing similar conversions 24/7/365.

ETA:

And as stated [directly] above, all other living things are performing these types of conversions as well.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural since it is invented.

Honey - invented and manufactured by bees.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    So just HFCS?

And that's because it's been through a man made and invented chemical process.

Like steak. Or lentils.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Artificial sour ?

+1
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    Here's a link that may help clarify.... http://sugarkills.us/natural-versus-added-sugars/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that may help clarify.... http://sugarkills.us/natural-versus-added-sugars/

nah, fail - "Natural sugars, along with other chemicals found in fruits and vegetables, form complex carbohydrates"

sugars aren't complex carbohydrates
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options

nah, fail - "Natural sugars, along with other chemicals found in fruits and vegetables, form complex carbohydrates"

Please splain :-)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Apart from knowing that desserts have sugar in them, that whole page is utter nonsense.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, bees and I'm sure other organisms use some of the same manufacturing bases for creating their energy. The difference in my mind is that bees have evolved so that is what works for them.

Humans evolved differently. They need a different diet and energy sources than bees.

I'm not anti-science, but I shop on the outer sections of the grocery store. Whether it is because of HFCS or other things that get put into processed foods, I prefer real food. If that means I need to spend more time making stuff from scratch, fine. I have a number of people in my extended family who suffered from various minor and major illnesses. All of them were convinced to move to a whole foods diet, or as close as possible. Almost all of them saw positive results after a few weeks.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Please splain :-)

in the article you linked is a link for added sugars--->"All sugar, whether natural or processed, is a type of simple carbohydrate that your body uses for energy. Fruits, vegetables and dairy foods all naturally contain sugar.

"Added sugar" refers to sugars and syrups added to foods during processing. Desserts, sodas, and energy and sports drinks are the top sources of added sugar for most Americans." Did you read the article you linked?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, bees and I'm sure other organisms use some of the same manufacturing bases for creating their energy. The difference in my mind is that bees have evolved so that is what works for them.

As opposed to....humans who have never lived longer and healthier than they do today...?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am just going to go with my natural answer..sugar is sugar, does not matter where it comes from …

and in….for more fun with sugar debating…!