Options
    Here is one of my favorite that I use all the time

Pan Fried Tofu and Awesome Hoisin Sauce

100-200 grams hard or extra firm tofu
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil

1. Really press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I wrap mine in paper towels to get the initial moisture off of it then wrap it in paper towels again and weight it down with a cast iron skillet and leave it for 20 mins.
    2. While you wait, combine the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
    3. After the tofu is dry, slice it 1/2 inch thick.
    4. Heat the vegetable oil in non stick pan and when it's hot place the slices of tofu in there. The tofu should sizzle when you put it in and don't let the tofu touch the other tofu in the pan.
    5. Leave the tofu alone! Don't touch it! Depending on your pan the first side should take between 4-6 minutes (i have one piece I use as a tester piece) When golden brown flip. The other side won't take as long to cook, about 2-3 minutes.
    6. When done place on plate and drizzle Hoisin Sauce over it.

I top mine with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds for a visual and flavorful experience :)
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump- these recipes are great!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is it soft, firm, or medium?

I find firm the best for cooking with and if soft can be used in smoothies, or choc tofu mousse
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've made tofu spring rolls before but I can't find the recipe. There are lots of them on Pinterest as well. They are messy but good, even my kids ate them!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I cut the tofu into cubes. Then take:

I tbsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. vinegar (I don't think it matters what type).
    small onion chopped
    1 tbsp. minced garlic

Throw it all into a big ziplock and let it marinade for a while (few hours) in the fridge.

Then put 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a pan and stir fry it with some fresh broccoli. We have it with brown rice. Yummy.
  • Gilligans_Eyes
    Options
    bump for later
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite ways to eat tofu are:

- in a stir fry (goes really well with broccoli)
    - soaked in low sodium soy sauce, dusted with corn starch, deep fried then added to a salad while still warm
    - crumbled into marinara sauce over pasta
    - mixed with frozen spinach and mozzerella cheese, stuffed into shells, then pour tomato based pasta sauce over all, top with parmesan cheese and bake until it starts to brown.

Silken tofu mixed with spices makes a great sandwich spread.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Here's the tofu cheesecake recipe:

2 (12 ounce) packages extra firm tofu, drained and cubed

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, sugar, vanilla, salt, vegetable oil, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Pour into the pie crust.
    3.Bake in the preheated oven until slightly brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    press it & marinade it then fry it up
    press it bread it and fry it
    make it into a pudding
    make it into a chip or veggie dip
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I made tofu sloppy joes before....
    No recipe just used hunt's manwich and threw in some green peppers & onions, slapped it on a bun and ate it.
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite that I use all the time

Pan Fried Tofu and Awesome Hoisin Sauce

100-200 grams hard or extra firm tofu
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    1 Tablespoon sesame oil

1. Really press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I wrap mine in paper towels to get the initial moisture off of it then wrap it in paper towels again and weight it down with a cast iron skillet and leave it for 20 mins.
    2. While you wait, combine the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
    3. After the tofu is dry, slice it 1/2 inch thick.
    4. Heat the vegetable oil in non stick pan and when it's hot place the slices of tofu in there. The tofu should sizzle when you put it in and don't let the tofu touch the other tofu in the pan.
    5. Leave the tofu alone! Don't touch it! Depending on your pan the first side should take between 4-6 minutes (i have one piece I use as a tester piece) When golden brown flip. The other side won't take as long to cook, about 2-3 minutes.
    6. When done place on plate and drizzle Hoisin Sauce over it.

I top mine with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds for a visual and flavorful experience :)

My bad, I accidently wrote tsp instead of Tbl for the soy sauce and sesame oil. FIXED!
  • BellePeppr313
    Options
    I crumbled some, flavored with taco seasoning, into my black bean & brown rice enchiladas. I can't wait for dinner!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I only buy extra firm, and basically use it to subtitute meat in stir fries
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Amazing ideas- thanks everyone! The stuff I got is extra firm, and it's draining as I type! I'll be making the pan fried with Hoisin sauce for dinner tonight, with some broccoli stir fry :) Can't wait to try the rest of the ideas as well- esp. the cheesecake! Does it fool those people that would otherwise not try tofu?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Tofu cat food.

Hush you!

Seriously I wouldn't even feed that to my cat! Look at him!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    throw it away

lol - beat me to it.

Actually - for not liking something as much as I dislike tofu, I found that tofu cubes in a soup are OK...about 1/2-inch square max - or they get gross again.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cats are obligatory carnivores so don't feed them tofu unless you want a blind cat.

I never thought I would say this but I LOVE tofu. My first few tries at preparing tofu weren't good not even remotely good. Tofu is one of those foods that takes some practice but once you get it down it's pretty darn good.

If I am preparing it to add to dishes such as stir fry I use extra firm. I freeze them then defrost and place in a tofu press (we eat quite a bit so it was worth the $). Once pressed I either use unflavored or I might marinate it. My favorite marinates are chimichurri sauce or bulgogi.

I've never made deserts with it but now that I've seen the cheesecake recipe I might have to give it a whirl :happy:

My favorite post race indulgence is lightly breaded deep fried tofu which I've never made myself but know just where to get it