My approach to wine

Options
Years ago I lost 3 stone (42lbs) using Rosemary Conley. I had a lovely 'instructor' who was a lot of fun and full of good information. One of the things she talked about was 'watering' red wine to make it go further (gasps of horror and deep inhalation of breath from those purists out there). I tried it and found that I quickly became accustomed to slightly more dilute wine. Over the subsequent years I have kept the habit - increasing the dilution slowly so that now it is 50:50. Now I find that I cannot drink wine neat - even good wine. Whilst this earns me some strange looks at the pub when ordering it does mean that I can make 200ml of wine last the whole evening quite happily! Some say I'm mad but there you go. I never have to feel hard done by just having one glass of wine with my Sunday roast - doesn't work with rose ;)

I was sad when that instructor left my area :(

Replies

• carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It is quite nice with diet lemonade as well
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of reading the "Symposium" so many years ago. I wouldn't do it myself, but the Greeks and Romans were fans.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I water down my wine too!

With vodka :drinker:
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'll have to give it a try. I enjoy wine with my evening meal.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I would rather savor one good glass of wine vs more watered down wine. I enjoy quality over quantity. But that is a great idea if it works for you.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    No. nope. No siree! Just make it last longer.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I would rather savor one good glass of wine vs more watered down wine. I enjoy quality over quantity. But that is a great idea if it works for you.

This.

Glad you found something that works for you. :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    One of the things she talked about was 'watering' red wine to make it go further (gasps of horror and deep inhalation of breath from those purists out there). I tried it and found that I quickly became accustomed to slightly more dilute wine.

There are historically sound reasons for doing this. Modern production practices have produces wines that are much more "dense" than wines of yesteryear. This is especially true for mid-range wines.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Many places offer wine spritzers, which are cut with sprite or something along those lines. Another thing I do which makes some people just crazy... I'll put ice in my wine because I prefer it cold. Wine enthusiasts shudder at the thought. LOL :laugh:
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'll have to give it a try. I enjoy wine with my evening meal.

I tried it and changed my mind.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In summer I'll mix wine with club soda.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

It is also getting to be sangria weather
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    This may help me out. I have drank more red wine this last year than in my whole life! I did gasp when you mentioned adding water, but I think I'll try it out. Starting with just a tablespoon:)
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    *gasps in horror!*. :)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

mmmmmm.......sangria..........
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Many places offer wine spritzers, which are cut with sprite or something along those lines. Another thing I do which makes some people just crazy... I'll put ice in my wine because I prefer it cold. Wine enthusiasts shudder at the thought. LOL :laugh:

Same here. I Can't drink red wine in summer because it's just too hot. I like to have red wine straight in winter and drink white wine spritzers with soda water or mineral water in summer with ice.
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do half and half wine and diet 7up :drinker: .....for white dry or red
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

YUP!