Almonds or peanuts? based on price, does it matter?

Options
Dozer561
Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
so im starting a modified version of the steak and eggs plan i saw in another thread, ( so basically just lowering carbs ), and i know almonds are a great snack that adds healthy fats, yadda yadda, question is, are peanuts just as good? (i know its a legume and not actually a nut)

grocery shopping yesterday, a 1lb bag of almonds was $8.25 or i could have got a 2lb jar of peanuts for 6$. (i bought the almonds) i don't live paycheck to paycheck with grocery bills, and i have/use peanut butter, and i enjoy both peanuts and almonds, but that is quite a difference in quantity vs price.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    They each have their strengths. If you consider them all to taste equally good, your best option is a container of mixed nuts. That will still be cheaper than buying a single bag of almonds, usually, and better for you on a micronutrient level.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Not to me. I look for nuts that aren't roasted in oil. In-shell peanuts are a good snack too. It seems like you are eating a lot because it takes time to crack them, etc.

I do lower carb. Feel free to add me for ideas (you won't find any steak in my diary though :wink: )
  • Dozer561
    Options
    yeah not doing a ton of steaks, lots of chicken and eggs etc.. just going sub 100g carbs.. i am just curious if it really made a difference between almonds, when peanuts being a cheaper alternative as a good calorie filler. i love just sitting and shelling peanuts as a snack. if almonds really are just "better" somehow i will keep buying them, i like them both, but like i saw in the store, it was half the cost for peanuts.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Almonds are lower in carbs, and to me after eating almonds, I can't go back to peanuts because flavored almonds are so much tastier. If you're going for a carb count as high as 100g, it doesn't make that big of a difference. Since I aim for 35g max, I always go for almonds when possible.
  • Dozer561
    Options
    alright, yeah, i dont see the carb count bewteen the 2 significant at all. i love the almonds, so i will keep buying them, or both, i also have peanutbutter on hand anyway, was just curious to save a buck... money isn't a concern for buying them,

if i had my choice it would be macadamia nuts but that crap is soooo expensive... but i love em...
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Almonds for me, though i use peanut butter. Almonds are more nutrient dense than peanuts.