Don't think I'm eating enough. (Eat back exercise calories?)

Options
I'm 5'2 135 pounds losing .5 per week. I eat 1500 calories a day but today I exercised a fair bit like enough to burn about 1,100 calories (1.5 hr zumba, 1h walk and a jillian michaels workout video) I know I should probably eat some back but I'm not sure. Am I burning too much? Should I be eating more? Thanks x

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    At your size, a one hour walk nets you about 140 burned calories.

You're burning way less than you appear to think you're burning, so if you're going to eat it back make sure you cut that number down....a lot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    At your size, a one hour walk nets you about 140 burned calories.

You're burning way less than you appear to think you're burning, so if you're going to eat it back make sure you cut that number down....a lot.

But what about the other two hours of exercise the OP listed for today? I'm going to assume the workout video was a half hour, which I think is a conservative assumption.
    1100 -140 for walking = 960
    960/2 [hours] = 480 cals an hour

Since you say the OP is "burning way less than you appear to think you're burning," are you saying you think that 480 kcals an hour is a large overestimate for Zumba or a Jillian Michaels workout video?

(I'm not trying to start a fight; I'm curious what you think -- most of your posts seem to be rational :wink: . I don't use an HRM myself, and I see a lot of conflicting information on calorie burns from exercise, and I don't feel confident about any of the exercise estimates I see, other than calculating walking and running mileage based on distance and weight.)