Gaining weight while eating under calorie goal

Options

Replies

• Sionainn405
    Options
    Having seen the Op's responses to other posts, talking to a brick wall comes to mind.
    I am glad others have more patience than I do.
    I am surprised that a nurse would not have the common sense to realise she is eating far too little for her needs. It is actually quite scary.

I'm a brick wall but then you insult me? I'm sorry you feel that way. But insulting me isn't productive. I can't control what people post but I've at least tried to be polite. Hopefully you're not this rude to everyone you meet.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    I have it set to sedentary with 3 workouts a week, since my work days I clock approx 4 miles a shift but my days off I don't do much...yet. So right now I'm counting my work days as my workouts if that makes sense.

There's the confusion - which MFP doesn't help.

There is your DIET goal - with activity level and weight loss amount goal.

There is your FITNESS goal - with hoped for frequency, duration, and calories burned goal. It only shows on your Exercise Diary.

The Fitness goal has NOTHING to do with the diet goal.

Nothing with fitness is done until you log it. That is exactly why your eating goal goes up.

As others have said, you have a deficit built in with NO exercise expected.

You tell MFP sedentary and 2 lb goal loss or 1000 calories off, it calculates your maintenance as say 2320 - with NO exercise account for. You eat that, no gain or loss, hence maintenance.

(but you aren't sedentary are you, not by a long shot with your job - were you honest with that?)

2320 - 1000 = 1320 eating goal on non-exercise days.

You exercise 600 calories one day. Your maintenance for that day just went up.
    2320 + 600 = 2920(if you ate that, no gain or loss)

2920 - 1000 = 1920 eating goal for that day.

See - same deficit in place.

If you think a bigger deficit is better - why don't you just stop eating until you've lost all the weight?
    Probably because you realize that is dumb.

Do you have ANY experience with calorie levels outside what MFP assigned per your selections?
    Did you ever log what you used to eat that got you in to trouble to see how much that was - likely without the same exercise being done now.
    How do you know reasonable or not without something to compare too?

So, I can tell you've been using the tool wrong (selecting sedentary, really?).

What happens at work when tools are used incorrectly? At the least, it doesn't do what it was expected to do, unless pure lucky. At worst it can cause harm.

Guess which one you are getting using this tool wrong?

My weightloss goal is 2lbs a week, not one. So my TDEE is 2215-2542 depending if my level is couch potato or light exercise. So to lose 2lbs a week I need a 1000 calorie deficit per day which puts my calories at 1215-1542. As for my "exercise" yes I get some walking in but that's over a 12 hour period so I'm not going hard. MFP has my calories per day at 1320 right in the middle of what it should be so how am I using this tool wrong? I didn't get to 268 by eating right or even acknowledging how much I was eating so I didn't count those calories. I think it would have broken me to actually see how many calories I was eating a day, safe to say it was easily 3000 or more. How is my diet not reasonable? How am I causing myself harm? Your post comes across pretty harsh so I'm trying not to be too defensive here, I really want to know why you think I'm harming myself.

I used 1 lb as an example for the math. In case that incorrect value made you skip understanding it, I've redone the math above to review so it fits better for you, might reread if you did skip understanding it.

You said in prior post you have MFP set to Sedentary level for your non-exercise daily activity. That is described as desk-job.

What was your work again?
    What do you do?
    And for how many hours a week?

No, 1320 is NOT right in the middle of what it should be.

Were you exercising when you used to eat around 3000, or just the active job?

So do you log and eat back your exercise calories now?
    You seemed to have said no or perhaps a slightly bigger breakfast on those days in prior posts.

Are you aware of what you can do to your body with extreme deficits?

Well, your body will adapt, and it won't be so extreme anymore. Do it really well, and you could have no deficit anymore.
    Now you have to eat even less and less to show any loss.
    How low can you go? And how ugly do you want your maintenance to be if you finally get there?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

Wasn't meant as harsh, but I was sensing by reading many posts at once a definite tone to your posts, the idea that certainly you couldn't be do anything wrong.
    And at least 2 simple things stood out as very obviously using the tool wrong.

Also, don't get TDEE method confused with what MFP is doing. non-exercise TDEE is what they do. So it is correct only for someone doing no exercise. But at least MFP lets you say what rest of the day outside exercise is like. Those TDEE tables with 5 rough levels speak to only exercise, no increased work like you do.

If you want to count workdays as exercise and still go for Sedentary, then you still aren't logging and eating it back, those are actually your lightest eating days according to you.
    But honestly, 4 x 12 is easily Lightly-Active if not more actually. You aren't standing much I'd wager, but actually moving and lifting, ect. You are Active.

I work 3 12 hour shifts, so 4 days a week I'm a couch potato. I don't really work out other than the exercise I get when i work. I wear my fitbit which automatically downloads to MFP for my exercise. I for sure never exercised when I was heavier, I was just eating and working. I've heard conflicting things about eating back your exercise calories, mostly from what I've read is that it can slow down your weight loss progress.

As for the tone I know that I'm doing things wrong, nobody is perfect, but when people told me to x,y. and z I felt I needed to point out that I WAS doing x, y and z. You just can't put it all in one post, it takes too long. I've just read so much conflicting information on different exercise/weightloss/fitness boards and in my own research. I don't think I'm perfect, but I'm not going to lie and say I'll start doing something when I'm already do it. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your tone is coming across as aggressive and resistant to the advice being offered. I understand that you think you are merely clarifying, so I'll believe you, but that is not what your tone suggests.

That said - are you eating at least to your BMR? I ask because MFP puts my initial recommended calories well under my BMR. Now that I have a fitbit, I'm getting a much better understanding of my actual TDEE and I eat to that caloric level - 1000 for a 2 lb per week loss. When I first started, I was not eating enough, the end. It was evident by my weight loss, or lack thereof. The benefit of the fitbit is that it allows me to adjust my meals accordingly. If my TDEE is lower (like on weekends), then I lower my intake or find a way to increase the difference. It's much more accurate than just relying on MFP's guesses or an online calculator.

In addition to that, I'll tell you what I did last week - ate out twice in a row, due to very unusual circumstances. I went from 312 to 318 in three days. My calories were under each day, I worked out each day/got my steps in each day, I carefully selected my meals to fit within my plans . . . 6 lbs. It was sodium, straight up. Took 5 days to come off. Felt like an eternity. But it did.

And related to that - it is entirely normal for your body to fluctuate due to hormones and a million other things and 3 lbs is within normal fluctuations. I get how frustrating it is, especially when you are working so hard. But you've got to find a way to let it go. Because it will happen again. Several times. You will hit plateaus as well. So you better prepare for that mentally now, because it will happen and if you get this frustrated every single time, you will increase the liklihood of slipping up or quitting - that's just human nature.

And yes, you need to eat your exercise calories back, even if they come from fitbit. Otherwise, you create too big a calorie deficit which will raise your cortisol and impact your metabolism. That's just how bodies work.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If those 3 days 36 hrs are all in a row, then 4 days off, I'd agree going for Sedentary and treating those days as exercise is correct.

And using FitBit that will happen automatically if synced.

No need to log anything, FitBit when synced will have your MFP increase the calorie level on those days.

And if you followed my math example, you'll see exactly what happens with those adjustments that appear under exercise.
    Your eating goal goes up - to maintain the same deficit.

You understand the math I gave, you'll also understand more than those that say don't eat back exercise calories - they don't understand that at all.
    They may luck out that they are even more sedentary than sedentary, and their exercise is next to nothing, so for them they balance it out and indeed don't need to log it.
    For anyone with a medicorum of exercise level, you need to.

Your FitBit does that.

So in your case, keep weighing all the foods that go in your mouth, measuring liquids only.
    Set MFP to Sedentary.
    You can support 2 lb weekly loss right now.
    Sync the FitBit with positive and negative calories if good about wearing it to work.

Eat your goal that is given to you every day. 50 over is better than 100 below.
    Yes, it better be a bigger goal on your work days, do NOT try to log work, your FitBit is already doing that.

If you get in extra exercise that is NOT step based which the Fitbit is tracking already, log it in MFP and let the syncing do the job.
    Yes you eat more on that day too.

Try to keep only the 1000 calorie deficit.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    Honestly, your tone is coming across as aggressive and resistant to the advice being offered. I understand that you think you are merely clarifying, so I'll believe you, but that is not what your tone suggests.

That said - are you eating at least to your BMR? I ask because MFP puts my initial recommended calories well under my BMR. Now that I have a fitbit, I'm getting a much better understanding of my actual TDEE and I eat to that caloric level - 1000 for a 2 lb per week loss. When I first started, I was not eating enough, the end. It was evident by my weight loss, or lack thereof. The benefit of the fitbit is that it allows me to adjust my meals accordingly. If my TDEE is lower (like on weekends), then I lower my intake or find a way to increase the difference. It's much more accurate than just relying on MFP's guesses or an online calculator.

In addition to that, I'll tell you what I did last week - ate out twice in a row, due to very unusual circumstances. I went from 312 to 318 in three days. My calories were under each day, I worked out each day/got my steps in each day, I carefully selected my meals to fit within my plans . . . 6 lbs. It was sodium, straight up. Took 5 days to come off. Felt like an eternity. But it did.

And related to that - it is entirely normal for your body to fluctuate due to hormones and a million other things and 3 lbs is within normal fluctuations. I get how frustrating it is, especially when you are working so hard. But you've got to find a way to let it go. Because it will happen again. Several times. You will hit plateaus as well. So you better prepare for that mentally now, because it will happen and if you get this frustrated every single time, you will increase the liklihood of slipping up or quitting - that's just human nature.

And yes, you need to eat your exercise calories back, even if they come from fitbit. Otherwise, you create too big a calorie deficit which will raise your cortisol and impact your metabolism. That's just how bodies work.

I'm sorry if I come across aggressive as that's not my intent. I just don't know how else to explain that I'm already doing a lot of what people are suggesting other than telling them I'm already do that. I have noticed my sodium can go over my limit on some days so it may just be water weight, so I'm trying to drink more water and watch the sodium. I don't get this frustrated every time, I've had other ups but usually in a couple days I'm back to losing, this has been since last Friday even though I didn't have my cheat meal till tuesday. If it had started going back down, I wouldn't have posted. I'm glad to hear others have had the same deal, unexplained gain despite sticking with your diet. I guess it's bothering me more because this is the first time I've really stuck with something.

As for the eating back your calories, I keep hearing and reading conflicting reports. Other sites and books have debunked the whole "starvation mode" and eating back your calories thing which is why it's all so confusing! But thank you for your input, I appreciate it!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Having seen the Op's responses to other posts, talking to a brick wall comes to mind.
    I am surprised that a nurse would not have the common sense to realise she is eating far too little for her needs. It is actually quite scary.

I'm a brick wall but then you insult me? I'm sorry you feel that way. But insulting me isn't productive. I can't control what people post but I've at least tried to be polite. Hopefully you're not this rude to everyone you meet.

I do not see it as insulting. I have read through endless posts where people have told you that you are not eating enough and are not getting enough nutrients and your responses have shown little to no indication of being willing to listen to what those people, that took time to help, said. To me, that, if anything, is rude. And an insult to the time they took to explain things to you. And as a nurse, I think you should know better. Sorry, but that is my view. We have a lot of younger women on here, recovering from EDs, or who are wanting to lose weight. It does not set a very good example when a nurse is thinking netting sub 1200 calories a day is perfectly acceptable.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    If those 3 days 36 hrs are all in a row, then 4 days off, I'd agree going for Sedentary and treating those days as exercise is correct.

And using FitBit that will happen automatically if synced.

No need to log anything, FitBit when synced will have your MFP increase the calorie level on those days.

And if you followed my math example, you'll see exactly what happens with those adjustments that appear under exercise.
    Your eating goal goes up - to maintain the same deficit.

You understand the math I gave, you'll also understand more than those that say don't eat back exercise calories - they don't understand that at all.
    They may luck out that they are even more sedentary than sedentary, and their exercise is next to nothing, so for them they balance it out and indeed don't need to log it.
    For anyone with a medicorum of exercise level, you need to.

Your FitBit does that.

So in your case, keep weighing all the foods that go in your mouth, measuring liquids only.
    Set MFP to Sedentary.
    You can support 2 lb weekly loss right now.
    Sync the FitBit with positive and negative calories if good about wearing it to work.

Eat your goal that is given to you every day. 50 over is better than 100 below.
    Yes, it better be a bigger goal on your work days, do NOT try to log work, your FitBit is already doing that.

If you get in extra exercise that is NOT step based which the Fitbit is tracking already, log it in MFP and let the syncing do the job.
    Yes you eat more on that day too.

Try to keep only the 1000 calorie deficit.

Yes I don't log any exercise unless it's something outside my fitbit (ie weight training, have an awesome heart monitor that will estimate calories based on height/weight/age and HR) but I haven't been working out lately, been too busy with other things. I guess I will try to increase my intake on the days I work, but it just feels wrong. It's just hard to know what to do and who's right when you have so much information available. Downside of the internet! Thank you for your input I appreciate it.
  • Sionainn405
    Options

I do not see it as insulting. I have read through endless posts where people have told you that you are not eating enough and are not getting enough nutrients and your responses have shown little to no indication of being willing to listen to what those people, that took time to help, said. To me, that, if anything, is rude. And an insult to the time they took to explain things to you. And as a nurse, I think you should know better. Sorry, but that is my view. We have a lot of younger women on here, recovering from EDs, or who are wanting to lose weight. It does not set a very good example when a nurse is thinking netting sub 1200 calories a day is perfectly acceptable.

I've thanked multiple people on multiple posts on here for their input. But to you, I'm to blame for people with EDs who are having issues? How is that even possible?? I think you're projecting here. You posting on here with nothing but negativity and trying to stir the pot smacks of nothing but being a troll. If you have anything constructive to say other than I apparently suck, I'm more than happy to hear it. But telling me I'm a horrible person/nurse who is ruining young womens lives by eating approx 1200 calories a day is not appropriate or constructive. And considering there are doctor supervised liquid diets of 800 calories, I think my paleo 1200 is a lot healthier than those or people eating 1500 calories of junk. I've listened to what everyone has said and looked into what they're saying. Just because I don't immediately believe a stranger on the internet doesn't mean I was being rude.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You are not logging accurately enough or you are eating things that you are not logging.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    You are not logging accurately enough or you are eating things that you are not logging.

I've logged everything I eat, I know it can be a slippery slope with taking a handful here or handful there! It's easy to have too many calories that way. The only thing I suck at is logging my water, granted I'm drinking more than before, especially since I gave up caffeine too. But thanks for the tip!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up.
    I'm a nurse, and I work night shift.
    I find I have to weigh myself on my days off in the morning after a full nights sleep.
    This has a huge effect on what the scales say - sometimes.
    I had a huge loss last week and no loss this week.
    I'll be vigilant with my calories in this week just in case I'm kidding myself but I feel its the weighing myself at the wrong time - its my weigh in day but not my day off.
    Night shift plays havoc with water retention, bowel habits etc.
    Like most people have said here loss is not linear.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    Just don't give up.
    I'm a nurse, and I work night shift.
    I find I have to weigh myself on my days off in the morning after a full nights sleep.
    This has a huge effect on what the scales say - sometimes.
    I had a huge loss last week and no loss this week.
    I'll be vigilant with my calories in this week just in case I'm kidding myself but I feel its the weighing myself at the wrong time - its my weigh in day but not my day off.
    Night shift plays havoc with water retention, bowel habits etc.
    Like most people have said here loss is not linear.
    It's great to see others loss isn't linear, I know it will kick back in soon but it's great knowing I'm not the only one. I tend to weigh myself whenever I wake up, no matter what time of day that is. Thanks to be variable shift I can work days, nights or swings, so I'm all over the place!! I'm going to try to add in some more calories on my work days, maybe an extra 100-200, but I feel great at the calorie level I'm at now, so it's hard to think of eating more. I do have to say since going paleo my IBS has greatly improved so that's a total win, especially at work! Thanks for your input!!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Unusual sleep patterns may be interfering since you likely threw your body for a bit of a loop - my money is on water weight. Btw I don't think you're aggressive! People just get frustrated. :p Stay on track, get some good non-nurse-chaotic-schedule sleep and pee. :p
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just listen to Heybales. I have been on mfp for about 2 years and he has never steered anyone wrong that I am aware of, he knows his stuff...
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    Unusual sleep patterns may be interfering since you likely threw your body for a bit of a loop - my money is on water weight. Btw I don't think you're aggressive! People just get frustrated. :p Stay on track, get some good non-nurse-chaotic-schedule sleep and pee. :p

Ha ha I pee like a race horse. Since switching to paleo I've given up gluten, dairy and cause I used to drink Coke like it was going out of style, caffeine. Oh and for Lent I gave up alcohol!! So right now I'm just chugging my water. harder to do at work, but it's definitely an improvement! Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes I don't log any exercise unless it's something outside my fitbit (ie weight training, have an awesome heart monitor that will estimate calories based on height/weight/age and HR) but I haven't been working out lately, been too busy with other things. I guess I will try to increase my intake on the days I work, but it just feels wrong. It's just hard to know what to do and who's right when you have so much information available. Downside of the internet! Thank you for your input I appreciate it.

Be aware that when you start lifting again, forget using the HRM for estimating calories.

HRM formula for calculating calories from HR is ONLY valid for the aerobic exercise zone with steady-state cardio, same HR for 2-4 min.
    Lifting if done right is anaerobic, and opposite of steady-state - and can be greatly exaggerated depending on how well you are doing it.

Log it using the MFP exercise of Strength training. It will seem low compared to HRM, and especially compared to cardio - but it's much closer to reality. But do log it.

Keep in mind it's about keeping a reasonable deficit so the body isn't so stressed that weight loss attempt backfires on you.

It may feel wrong - but until you study what the body can and will do, don't trust your feelings. Use your brain.

Starvation mode as in body storing everything as fat and gaining while in a true deficit is false, but the adaptive nature of it is absolutely true. You can make your body more metabolically efficient for EVERYTHING you do, and therefore make your TDEE lower than it needs to be.
    That sucks because now you must eat less than you would have to otherwise. That makes for a smaller margin for error to get good results. That's usually bad, especially if it creates more stress worrying about it. Which I can easily envision for you down the road when the margin gets smaller anyway.

Your work schedule is always going to add stress - don't add to it by undereating on those days, absolutely wrong time to add more stress. Any body in a diet will have trouble recovering compared to maintenance.

Read the link I gave you for one study on what you can do to your body.

And this topic has many such studies tied together.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

And if you'd rather watch a video on another study same findings. Weight of Nation study comments
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I've thanked multiple people on multiple posts on here for their input. But to you, I'm to blame for people with EDs who are having issues? How is that even possible?? I think you're projecting here. You posting on here with nothing but negativity and trying to stir the pot smacks of nothing but being a troll. If you have anything constructive to say other than I apparently suck, I'm more than happy to hear it. But telling me I'm a horrible person/nurse who is ruining young womens lives by eating approx 1200 calories a day is not appropriate or constructive. And considering there are doctor supervised liquid diets of 800 calories, I think my paleo 1200 is a lot healthier than those or people eating 1500 calories of junk. I've listened to what everyone has said and looked into what they're saying. Just because I don't immediately believe a stranger on the internet doesn't mean I was being rude.

I always find the word troll rather silly. I never understood it's use, especially when used on someone who is a longterm member and has a good post count under their belt. You only need to go through my post history to see I am not. apart from the fact, staying on a fitness and weightloss forum just to annoy people would seem somewhat of a waste of time, which is already short enough given the limited human lifespan, along with having COPD, lol

I simply found it frustrating that in spite of quite a few people saying you needed to eat more, you were not listening. You do not suck, and that is not what I intended you to think at all. I do not think anyone doing the sort of job you do, could be seen as sucky. But I do honestly think, especially with the job you have, that you need to increase your food intake and follow the advice Heybales has given, who incidentally, gave me advice over a year ago.

Your Paleo 1200 is definitely healthier than 1500 of junk. But similarly, you could be eating 1400-1500 calories of Paleo and still be losing weight, and giving your body more of the stuff it needs. Since everyone seems to have different rules as to how strict they are when following Paleo. there would be no purpose to my advising on food, although I am aware of Paleo as I researched it myself last year. I decided against it, as I do quite well with my dairy and because something like that, as a former anorexic would probably be too restrictive for me.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide to do, and apologies if I came across as rude, snappy, abrasive, mean or trollish. My friends on here know the heart that lays behind my words when I get frustrated. They certainly do not come from malice.
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments so unsure if someone has said this but here's my take:

I don't want to argue but you asked for advice and here is mine: I am under 5 feet tall and weigh 142lbs. I work a VERY sedentary p/t job but I have a toddler who I take to the park 5 days a week so I set my activity level to 'lightly active' - I eat 1300 calories a day AND I eat back about 75% of my exercise calories (running 3x a week) and I still lose an average of 1.25lbs a week. I've lost 27lbs and need to lose another 23lbs.

Since your job is active and you have more to lose, you should easily be able to lose eating more calories. If I were you, I'd eat 1500-1600 on work days and 1300-1400 on non-work days. I definitely don't buy into the 'starvation mode' thing but I believe your weightloss will be easier to maintain by eating a little more.

Secondly, I didn't lose a single lb for 3 whole weeks and then I dropped 4lbs in 1 week. Weight loss is a screwy/weird thing. You're doing awesome though! Congrats on sticking to your plan and dropping a lot of weight already;)
  • Sionainn405
    Options

I always find the word troll rather silly. I never understood it's use, especially when used on someone who is a longterm member and has a good post count under their belt. You only need to go through my post history to see I am not. apart from the fact, staying on a fitness and weightloss forum just to annoy people would seem somewhat of a waste of time, which is already short enough given the limited human lifespan, along with having COPD, lol

I simply found it frustrating that in spite of quite a few people saying you needed to eat more, you were not listening. You do not suck, and that is not what I intended you to think at all. I do not think anyone doing the sort of job you do, could be seen as sucky. But I do honestly think, especially with the job you have, that you need to increase your food intake and follow the advice Heybales has given, who incidentally, gave me advice over a year ago.

Your Paleo 1200 is definitely healthier than 1500 of junk. But similarly, you could be eating 1400-1500 calories of Paleo and still be losing weight, and giving your body more of the stuff it needs. Since everyone seems to have different rules as to how strict they are when following Paleo. there would be no purpose to my advising on food, although I am aware of Paleo as I researched it myself last year. I decided against it, as I do quite well with my dairy and because something like that, as a former anorexic would probably be too restrictive for me.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide to do, and apologies if I came across as rude, snappy, abrasive, mean or trollish. My friends on here know the heart that lays behind my words when I get frustrated. They certainly do not come from malice.

Thank you for that, this post is a completely different tone than your others. As a nurse, telling me I'm responsible for other peoples ED pissed me off to no end. As for me not listening to people about the calories, there's a big difference between taking in others information and making my informed decision vs just blindly listening and accepting a strangers advice on the internet. There is so much conflicting information on the internet about weightloss it's hard to know who to listen to. And it seems counter intuitive to eat more to lose weight, especially since everything I have read states that the "starvation mode" is a complete myth along with the whole eating your calories. I don't tend to just accept what I hear at face value, so I've taken in everything people are saying and will look into eating more calories on days I work, but I don't know that it will actually do anything other than slow down my loss. Thank you for your input.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments so unsure if someone has said this but here's my take:

I don't want to argue but you asked for advice and here is mine: I am under 5 feet tall and weigh 142lbs. I work a VERY sedentary p/t job but I have a toddler who I take to the park 5 days a week so I set my activity level to 'lightly active' - I eat 1300 calories a day AND I eat back about 75% of my exercise calories (running 3x a week) and I still lose an average of 1.25lbs a week. I've lost 27lbs and need to lose another 23lbs.

Since your job is active and you have more to lose, you should easily be able to lose eating more calories. If I were you, I'd eat 1500-1600 on work days and 1300-1400 on non-work days. I definitely don't buy into the 'starvation mode' thing but I believe your weightloss will be easier to maintain by eating a little more.

Secondly, I didn't lose a single lb for 3 whole weeks and then I dropped 4lbs in 1 week. Weight loss is a screwy/weird thing. You're doing awesome though! Congrats on sticking to your plan and dropping a lot of weight already;)

Yes it is wacky thing!! So annoying! Thanks for the tips, I know everyone says to eat more, but I'm perfectly content with my 1200 calories. If I was feeling lightheaded, short on energy or stuff like that then I would definitely be upping my calories. It's just when you go from chronic over eating to watching what you eat, it's a fine line between adding in a few more calories and pigging out. Thanks again for your input!