Perfume... Is it Hot? Or Not?

Options
gitanagirl
gitanagirl Posts: 207 Member
Dear Ladies and Gents,
Ladies wearing perfume... Generally is an alluring thought for most guys, although I'll wager there's a few of you out there that would beg to differ.
Any chance I could get your take on this subject?
Have you ever had a bad experience with someone wearing too much perfume?
Do you have a preference in Scent? Flowery VS. Fruity?
Have any of you girls ever brought home a perfume that you were absolutely in love with, only to be told the next day by your man that it didn't fit you?
So Guys and Gals!
I really would appreciate your input on this, I'm pretty confused about scents at this point, had so many losers, perfumes I like, no one else goes for and I hear my friends raving about some scent that really didn't appeal to me!

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    You're going to get as many different opinions as there are answers. In other words everyone's a little different. In my experience a little goes a long way. Also, every woman is different. What smells nice on one woman may not smell nice on a another. Find a couple that work for you and stick with those.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I love a great perfume but a little goes a long way.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    I mix my scents, after a shower I smooth cocoa butter lotion all over my body then I put my bra and panties on. When the lotion dries I spritz a little vanilla onto my bra and panties as well as my neck. Then I get dressed fully and use a softer cinnamon scent I've heard I smell great not one person has ever told me it doesn't smell nice. However it is also a very subtle scent.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    as long as it isn't as strong as when you're stuck in church on sunday. I haven't been to church in 20 some years and still remember all the perfume stink lol.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You're going to get as many different opinions as there are answers. In other words everyone's a little different. In my experience a little goes a long way. Also, every woman is different. What smells nice on one woman may not smell nice on a another. Find a couple that work for you and stick with those.

This. If you want to wear a fragrance for a man and he's the kind of man who likes fragrances, get a bunch of those perfume samples. Go to the department store and ask them for the sample bottles if they have them so you can try out what you like. Then, gauge the response.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I don't like to smell like food. Mostly because when I worked with animals, if you smelled like their food, they often bit you.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    You have to find the right perfume for you. My college roommate used to wear Tommy Girl...and it smelled SO good on her. So I bought some; yeah, it did not smell the same at all on me.

I learned once...I think it was on America's Top Model (I feel stupid for saying that), to spritz a cloud of perfume in front of you and walk into it...basically, don't drown yourself in it.
  • nooblord
    nooblord Posts: 1
    Options
    Perfume, in general? I'd say "Not"... it's courteous to not wear it most of the time. Lots of people have allergies or get headaches from perfume/cologne. I'm not allergic myself but I don't like strong artificial scents so most of the products I use are unscented.
  • gitanagirl
    gitanagirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I see, so gathering from all the replies.... Go to the store, buy samples, get input and whatever it is don't overdo it... Right?
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    If it gives me a headache...it's not hot.
    If it smells "like an old lady"...it's not hot.
    If it costs more than $40...it's not hot.
    If it makes me and your other coworkers cough/gag when you walk by...it's not hot.
    If it makes me have to leave the door closed to the exam room after you leave for the rest of the day to avoid a patient going into a COPD exacerbation...it not hot.
    :noway:

If it's a subtle scent, applied sparingly, and makes you feel more confident...it can be hot.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    hot shower with unscented soap all the way!!!!
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    I'm a big fan of perfume/cologne so hot, hot, hot.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Perfumes and scented aftershaves are disgusting if I can smell them on you without cuddling you.

I don't want to smell anyone else at a distance, no matter whether you did it on purpose or how expensive it was.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If it gives me a headache...it's not hot.
    If it smells "like an old lady"...it's not hot.
    If it costs more than $40...it's not hot.
    If it makes me and your other coworkers cough/gag when you walk by...it's not hot.
    If it makes me have to leave the door closed to the exam room after you leave for the rest of the day to avoid a patient going into a COPD exacerbation...it not hot.
    :noway:

If it's a subtle scent, applied sparingly, and makes you feel more confident...it can be hot.

^^THIS^^

Also, I routinely forget to put any scent on anyway. Of course, with my luck, when I do dab a bit on that spot where neck meets shoulders, he will want to nibble...and, yeah, perfume tastes gross!
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I don't like to smell like food. Mostly because when I worked with animals, if you smelled like their food, they often bit you.

I'm guessing it had more to do with your demeanor than your scent.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I'm guessing it had more to do with your demeanor than your scent.

I was gentle and kind and careful with all those animals!
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like fruity smells, but also classic ones
    I have a very subtle one I wear everyday, most people don't notice I'm wearing perfume but apparently I smell nice. Someone borrowed my scarf the other day and said "it smells like you" so I'm guessing it isn't an obvious "perfume" scent

One of the guys I live with always wears far too much aftershave, and its awful. You can be walking three steps behind and still be gagging on the strength of the smell. Less is more!!
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't actually use perfume, I use body oils, like it much better.

I think the problem is that people don't understand that you can't just uncap a bottle of toilet water, smell it, then buy it. You need to smell it ON your skin. Everyone as I like to say "tastes" different, so vanilla may not be your scent.

Also, this is a side note, but I still keep this with me, when I was younger I asked my mother why "grandmas" always wore so much perfume. And my mom said as you get older your senses fail, so because they put it on until they can smell it...well...you get the gist :laugh:. So I think we have some "grandmas" out there at all ages too.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Also, I routinely forget to put any scent on anyway. Of course, with my luck, when I do dab a bit on that spot where neck meets shoulders, he will want to nibble...and, yeah, perfume tastes gross!

Behind the ears hun :laugh:! Unless you have an ear nibbler on your hands...