Put on 5lb overnight...

Options
Went out last night, drank alcohol, looks like I've put on just over 5lb over night, I'm sure this can't be true, this is after me drinking a hell of a lot of water today just as naturally probs dehydrated after the alcohol. How can I get rid of this again, will it just drop off easily or is it another weeks/two weeks worth of work, for this one night of stupidity? Didn't eat more than 2k calories today, and yesterday including alcohol maximum consumption in calories being 4k.

Replies

• scheater
    scheater Posts: 1
    Options
    Take into account sodium levels, especially considering alcohol. Give your body a couple of days a lot of water to flush it out of your system, but the weight gain is just likely excess water because of the salt.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Most likely water weight. Keep drinking water and carrying on like normal, it will go away in no time.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It'll drop off easily within a few days. Just keep drinking a lot of water. You didn't consume enough to gain 5lbs of fat.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    5lb is 17500 calories - so unless you ate that much over maintenance, it's not fat! Keep drinking water, it'll fall off quickly.
  • mayweather13
    mayweather13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Take into account sodium levels, especially considering alcohol. Give your body a couple of days a lot of water to flush it out of your system, but the weight gain is just likely excess water because of the salt.

Thats good to hear, so I should within 2 days resort back to my original weight, so lose the 5lb instantly?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Drink water, take a poop.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The last time I put on 5lbs overnight was when I bought my first dumbbell.
  • dhouse6167
    Options
    The alcohol can be a big part of it, due to the high amounts of sodium, sodium forces you to absorb water weight
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    As other people mentioned, this is not likely to be fat gain. Remember, when you weigh yourself, you're weighing everything - your body fat, yes, but also your skeleton and your skin and the extra water you're retaining because of all the salty junk you ate last night, and the undigested food still hanging out in your digestive tract, etc.

Kiwitechgirl points out that you gain 5 lbs of fat by eating 17,500 calories OVER WHAT YOU BURNED, so if you only ate 4000 yesterday you definitely didn't put on five pounds of fat. It's probably mostly undigested food and retained water weight, from the excess sodium and glycogen replenishment.

(Putting 17,500 calories into context: that's 5 and a quarter Three-Cheese Stuffed Crust Meat Lovers Pizzas from Pizza Hut. You would probably have to eat six pizzas total, to account for your TDEE. If you didn't do that, you're fine, and this gain is temporary and will pass in the next couple days. If you did do this, you should probably contact your nearest cardiac unit.)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    tummy-tuck-half-cta-12282011.jpg

*disclaimer* This is meant as humor, and not to be taken seriously. I am not promoting the use of the 'tummy tuck belt.' Anyone who thinks this is serious needs to get the stick out of their @$$. Thank you. :wink: