Birth control and weight loss issue?

ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on the Depo shot for several years now, not that I was worried about pregnancy but just LOVED the lack of a period. So just recently (within last 5 months or so) I have been spotting about a month before the shot is due and this month I have actual CRAMPS (WTF?!?!?). Talked to the OB-GYN and she thought my body was processing the birth control differently given my change in body weight/fat and activity level. Has anyone else dealt with this? A little annoyed as the whole purpose was to avoid TOM altogether...now wondering if it's worth the chemicals and expense...

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    I'm not sure of the answer your ob/gyn gave you. I started the Depo shot about a year and a half ago in an effort to avoid a hysterectomy. I'm at the end of my rope with options. Just last May, it FINALLY started working for me. I kid you not, I had spotting the entire first year. Seems after I dropped about 25 lbs. it started working.
    However, it only lasts about 2 months for me. When I talked to the nurse (she's the one giving me the shot), she said she has another patient that requires it every 2 months and looks like that's what it's going to be for me.
    Maybe you might be one of us 2-monthers?

Trust me, if I could avoid this shot, I would. My sister's ob/gyn told her that this drug causes bone loss, among other things. So, if you're able to avoid the shot and try other alternatives, it might be worth looking into?
  • I would look into having a coil fitted. At first you will still bleed but over time it becomes less and less xxx
This discussion has been closed.