Training to become a Police Officer.

Options
Im kind of worried I won't be good enough. I have been studying and working out but I still cant ditch this anxiety. Any officers here with any good tips?

Replies

• djmorrow135
    djmorrow135 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. In my academy we did a three mile run daily. Go in able to meet the fitness standards provided for the PT test and able to run for a decent ammount of time and you'll be fine. The important part is to show the instructors you're motivated and capable. Remember your mind will tell you to quit a hundred times before your body actually needs to. Ignore that little voice of self doubt in your head, focus on completing the task at hand, and you'll do well.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. In my academy we did a three mile run daily. Go in able to meet the fitness standards provided for the PT test and able to run for a decent ammount of time and you'll be fine. The important part is to show the instructors you're motivated and capable. Remember your mind will tell you to quit a hundred times before your body actually needs to. Ignore that little voice of self doubt in your head, focus on completing the task at hand, and you'll do well.

made me think of Zombieland for some reason. RULE ONE: CARDIO!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    i would reccommend a good pair of running shoes and some decent sunglasses too
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Every agency is going to have different standards, but where I work we had a short PT test prior to the academy and one at the end that we had to pass to even graduate. Here, the initial test was a timed course with running, sit-ups, push-ups, and stair climbing...basically wanting to make sure you had enough endurance to make it in a certain time and the strength to do push-ups and sit-ups correctly after the cardio already wore you down. The final test, or POPAT, consisted of a timed course involving running, dragging someone 150 pounds, running up and down stairs, pushing through a 50 pound weighted door, doing push-ups and sit-ups, crawling through a cement tunnel (and then some of that AGAIN).

The best way to prepare for a test like ours is a balanced program with cardio and weight training. I prefer to alternate cardio and weight training days and have one day of rest per week. In our academy, we ran A LOT and did an insane number of push-ups and sit-ups on cardio training days. We also had days in the weight room. So it was good that I was actually doing a program similar to it prior to going in.

Talk to a recruiter about what is expected at your chosen agency and base your program on that.