HELP! Is my metabolism messed up?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP. My stat - 5"10 and 180lbs.

I am concerned about my metabolism and my ability to lose weight. I believe I eat healthy compared to most people, but my weight has been steady climbing since last year. I haven't had a soda in years. I barely eat chocolate and I exercise regularly. With all the workout I do, my weight never reduces. I've been 180 since the summer of last year.

My husband thinks its growth and hormonal changes, but this is driving me crazy. As of December '12, I weighed 158lbs. I gained over 30lbs last year. I also take pre-natal vitamins too.

I'm considering a low-carb, high protein diet this time, hoping its works. Can anyone recommend any diet plan to speed up my metabolism? I feel like nothing works right now. I'm frustrated.

I used to be a size 6 and right now, nothing fits. Please help.

Replies

• Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention counting calories or any system to keep track of your food intake so I'm gonna say "You're probably eating more than you think." It's easy to not notice extra calories here and there (coffee creamer, butter on toast, etc).

Your exercise is awesome! But you can't out exercise a bad diet and even healthy foods can add up to being a being diet if not closely monitored.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Before making any drastic diet changes, I would just start logging what I was heating. All of it. Everything.

Until then, it's all just guesses, except we do know you're eating too much for your activity level.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging what you currently eat? It might be an eye opener. I thought my habits weren't that bad either, then I logged and can see that my portion control was the issue.

Enter your information into MFP, be honest about your activity levels (don't just default to sedentary, unless you truly are), With 30 lbs to lose, 2lb/week is too quick and will leave you frustrated. Log everything you eat, do not restrict/demonize any food group, this could contribute to a pig out on said "forbidden food." You will have good days and bad ones, shake off the bad ones and keep moving forward. Add some friends (people on the forums with similar goals, or who have done well, whatever suits you) for support during those difficult times.

Slow and steady. You got this! :flowerforyou:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It may be. Our stats are/were very similar. About 5 years ago, the same thing happened to me -- put on 30 lbs one year. It was a stressful year, so I figured I'd just not been eating well and depressed/anxious. Part of that was true, but after 5 years of struggling on and off to take the weight off, I finally figured out what it was. It ends up that I have a thyroid condition (Hashi's) and insulin resistance. Got that on track, and weight finally started coming off like a "normal" person is supposed to lose.

I'd recommend you take a good three months carefully tracking all your food -- literally, weigh and measure everything -- and tracking exercise/movement (I use the bodymedia fit device and love it). A lot of people are off on this initially. If you're really confident in that -- that you're not overestimating your exercise and not underestimating your calories, but you still aren't seeing any weight loss, talk to a doctor who is specialized in metabolism. You may also want to see if any of the the other symptoms of hypothyroidism or insulin resistance look familiar to you. There are other things out there too -- adrenal issues, metabolic disorder, etc. I'm just familiar with the thyroid and insulin resistance myself.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Metabolism in most cases is overrated. It rarely differs in people to the extent that people think.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You could get your metabolic rate measured at a clinic, sports science centre or the like. Then you could act on reliable data.

http://ironman.memorialhermann.org/performance-improvement/resting-metabolic-rate/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention how many calories you're eating. I gained probably 25 lbs in the year before I joined MFP-- my metabolism wasn't broken I was just eating more.

Start with an honest log. Weigh and measure your portions, log everything including coffee creamer, condiments, oil, etc and see where you're at as far as calories go.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about your health, talk to a doctor before starting a diet, so that you can get some blood tests if needed. You might also ask a nutritionist to prepare a diet plan for you. Anyway, unless there's something going on with your health, which I really hope there isn't, I doubt your metabolism can slow down so much in such a short time lapse. It's completely normal that your metabolism changes as long as you grow older, but at the same time, you're tall and your weight is not low, so you should need a decent amount of calories to mantain your weight. Try to accurately estimate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and try to accurately log your intake and your exercise. I'm always suprised at how many calories I can eat when I'm not logging and actually thinking I'm not exceeding. Also, I've always been overestimating my needs, who would have ever guessed I'd only need 1700 kcals to function? It's easy to gain weight or just not lose weight if you're not somewhat accurate about your calorie intake or your burned calories.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Working out won't stop you from gaining weight. There are only two options:
    1. You've been eating more than you think, or
    2. You have some health condition that's causing you to gain weight.

Start logging everything and anything. Don't leave out anything even if you think it doesn't count (salad dressing, the oil you cook with, vegetables and fruits, coffee creamer, drinks that aren't water, everything). You'll find out soon enough how much you're actually eating if you're being honest.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Chances are, you are movign less than you used to, and eating more than you need. You can eat more calories than you need and still have a healthy diet, or be a little overweight and be very fit and healthy. Start logging everything you eat, using a food scale. You might be surprised.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We would need to know what you eat,how much you eat and how much you burn.

All these are factors here...

Cause even if you're eating well..if you're eating too much calories as per what you're burning in a day ...well you'll gain.
    Could be also muscles gain? can't see any pictures.
    Do you have any thyroid problem or diabetes ? Those can affect and fluctuate your weight too without you knowing.

Also sometime....eating under calories but going over one macros (too much) like busting sugar etc will prevent you from losing etc.

All these could be the reason.
    Let us know a bit more...so we can try to help out a bit more.

Goodluck and take care.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I can totally relate to you. was 70kg in dec12 and now 78kg (5'11) and my BF increasing by 4%. I was following a VLCD aswell as LCD but started to eat more as was feeling exhausted. However my body hoovered up those extra cals and kept them all safe by converting them to fat almost immediately and although I feel much better I will not let myself go back down the low calorie diet again, I still exercise 3 times a week (weights) and throw in the odd power walk.

This is a really helpful poster on MFP and I've copied the link from his blog, he is really good at explaining if you think your situation is metabolic related:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales?month=201401

At the moment I have just purchased a Fitbit One to get an idea of my daily calorie burn and I will try and match it to a calorie intake so that I'm left with around 750 cal deficit (with a margin of error on my ability to log correctly) so really I am looking for a 500 cal deficit. I am not just trying to get a per day calorie goal. I'm sure it will take me a while to figure out what exactly is my BMR/TDEE but I'm hoping when I lose the regained weight that I will have a better knowledge for my maintenance calorie needs if you follow, I definitely don't want to be in a situation where just because I lost weight eating x calorie amount doesn't mean that I have to eat x forever, hence I think alot of people find once they lose the weight dont keep it off.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    I feel like everyone who seemingly "can't lose weight" wants to be told they have a hormonal/thyroid issue so they'll have something to blame other than themselves, take a pill, and watch it all fall off- but a lot of times those issues come on as a consequence of overeating to begin with. Either way, you're going to want to set up an appointment with your doctor to get a check up before you begin any weightloss and fitness routine! And log your food, you're likely eating more than you think! Even measuring your portions in volume vs weight can actually distort caloric amounts.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    When I started logging, I was stunned by how much I was actually eating. Yeah, it was mostly "healthy" stuff, but too much of it. (Olive oil is good fat, but NOT in the quantities I was using!) Add to that some life stress that left me mopy and not wanting to move as much as I used to and hello creeping weight.

That said, if it turns out you're not eating an excessive amount, there may something else going on.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging what you currently eat? It might be an eye opener. I thought my habits weren't that bad either, then I logged and can see that my portion control was the issue.

Enter your information into MFP, be honest about your activity levels (don't just default to sedentary, unless you truly are), With 30 lbs to lose, 2lb/week is too quick and will leave you frustrated. Log everything you eat, do not restrict/demonize any food group, this could contribute to a pig out on said "forbidden food." You will have good days and bad ones, shake off the bad ones and keep moving forward. Add some friends (people on the forums with similar goals, or who have done well, whatever suits you) for support during those difficult times.

Slow and steady. You got this! :flowerforyou:

This!
  • lunula71
    lunula71 Posts: 13
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, but I'd also like to add that you should see a doctor. Have you had your thyroid checked? Hormone levels, medications, etc.? There are medical reasons for inability to lose weight. I think it's a lot more uncommon than most people like to believe (hah!) but it definitely happens and if you're concerned, I'd start there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't matter as much as how much you eat... You're probably eating more than you think. I'd weigh everything you eat and log it, and you'll realize that you're eating too much. A lot of things are more calories than you think.

I always thought my metabolism was messed up too. It's actually pretty good. But once I started logging what I ate, I was eating 4000+ calories some days... no wonder.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I feel like everyone who seemingly "can't lose weight" wants to be told they have a hormonal/thyroid issue so they'll have something to blame other than themselves, take a pill, and watch it all fall off- but a lot of times those issues come on as a consequence of overeating to begin with. Either way, you're going to want to set up an appointment with your doctor to get a check up before you begin any weightloss and fitness routine! And log your food, you're likely eating more than you think! Even measuring your portions in volume vs weight can actually distort caloric amounts.

And then there are those of us that are the exact opposite. That put off seeing the doctor or educating ourselves and pushing our doctors on such issues because we don't want to believe that anything is wrong. We want to believe that it really is just up to us and we can control such things without medication.

The sad truth is that there are a lot of underlying issues that can make it very difficult to lose weight. Thyroid issues alone are estimated at 20 million Americans being affected by a thyroid disorder, 60% of which are undiagnosed, and 12% of the population will have a thyroid disorder in their lifetime (according to the American Thyroid Association). Insulin resistance is even more common -- estimates up to 25% of the population or 80 million Americans. And then there are things like diabetes, PCOS, adrenal issue, pituitary issues, etc.

Until I experienced it myself, I never knew there were so many potential issues out there. I thought things were far more rare than they are. I'd still advise going down the strict calorie counting (both in and out) path first as a lot of people are very off on these things and didn't realize it. But, if you get to a point where you're weighing and measuring everything and it's still not coming off (or at very, very reduced rate), look into a doctor that specializes in metabolism-related issues. After I got my issues sorted out, I lost in 3 weeks (3.8 lbs) what previously took me over 3 months (2.6 lbs) to lose and it was so great to not feel crazy anymore!
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    See your doctor if you have concerns and run some tests.

Otherwise I agree with everyone here about portions and food weighing. I had no idea my portions were all out of wack before I bought a food scale and started portioning food correctly.