Moroccan Beef Stew - 256 calories per serving!

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
This healthy stew is a great week-night meal; easy to make, loaded with flavour, and very hearty and filling. Serve with cooked couscous, rice, or a salad, as desired. 45 mins prep/cooking time. Modified it from a recipe I found at epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Beef-Stew-234422)

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1.5 lbs lean beef tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 TBSP paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups beef broth (optionally, add 1 more cup - this recipe makes what is more like a gravy)
1/2 cup pitted kalamata or ripe olives, halved
1 - 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp lemon rind, to taste
(optional, 1/2 cup golden raisins, not included in the nutritional breakdown)

Spray a dutch oven or stewing pot and heat to med-high. Working in batches, add beef to pan and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to plate. Spray again, and add onion, carrot, and garlic to pot. Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add spices; stir 1 minute. Add broth, olives, raisins (if using) and garbanzo beans; bring to boil. Simmer for approx 5 mins until juices thicken. Lower heat to med-low and return beef and accumulated juices to the pot, along with the cilantro. Simmer another 3-5 mins to allow flavours to meld. Sprinkle with lemon rind and serve!

Per Serving:
cal 256
carbs 19
fat 9
protein 23
fibre 5
sodium 448

The recipe calls for 3 tbsp of oil which I have substituted for cooking spray. This is up to you, but it alters the calorie count (obviously). You can also add raisins. I made it for the first time tonight and it was a hit - I would likely leave out the olives next time (not a hit with my family), and perhaps add in the raisins and increase the vegetable count with more carrots, and possibly green beans and cauliflower. Overall though it was a major hit! The servings are adequate with 1/2 cup of cooked couscous, rice or a side salad for a hearty autumn meal!

Enjoy :D
-Meag

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Reading this is making me hungry :laugh:

I think i'll make this on Saturday night.....
  • akaDumbo
    Options
    Sounds very tasty I will give it a try.

For anyone in the UK that doesn't know what cilantro is it is coriander (leaves)
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE to preprep and portion meals in the fridge for easy portion controlled reheating. This sounds delicious and I'm gonna ad it to my list of stuff thats in the fridge!
  • Avalon203
    Options
    Sounds great, thanks! How many servings do you get out of this?
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow this sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to try it!
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    YUMMY I am going to add this to my list for dinner next week! Thank you!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE to preprep and portion meals in the fridge for easy portion controlled reheating. This sounds delicious and I'm gonna ad it to my list of stuff thats in the fridge!

I do the same thing! It's amazing what some portioning can do... We used to always eat everything served family style at my house, but I swear I ate way more than I needed to during that time. Now that we make 4-6 portions of everything we always have either enough left over for 1 lunch, or 3 full meals for the next day (we are 3 in our house). It's great! Hope you enjoy this one :)
  • meagalayne
    Options

This makes 6 full servings but you may find that you need to add a side to make a full meal. Enjoy!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options

The website link says 6 servings