Endurance athlete and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone! I have been futilely attempting to lose weight the past few months. No matter what I try, my body seems to be stuck at this weight. My sister has been dieting a little too, and has already lost weight in a matter of 2 weeks. I am currently 5'4"-5'5" ish and weight 121. I run cross countey and track year-round for my high school and run at least 6 miles a day when we have speed (about 2x a week) and at least 8 on long run days (3x a week). When I don't run, usually Sundays, I go to the gym and burn at least 600 calories.
I really want to know how I can lose this weight. Am I simply eating too much or am I not eating enough? I know to lose weight you just need to create a 3500 calorie deficit and I have been conscious of how much I have been eating. That being said, I don't want to eat too little and send my body into a "starvation mode".
Any tips or input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Open diary sowe can see what you eat.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out why you are so concerned with weight loss? I'd pick a different goal...fat loss, muscle gain, faster running speeds, whatever...I mean, I am seriously puzzled as to why someone your size wants to lose weight at all when you are already athletic?

But we won't know what to change about your diet without knowing what your diet is anyway as the previous poster said.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Do you have fat to lose or are you trying to shift some muscle weight?
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At that height and weight I'd be more inclined to trim and tone vs going after weight loss. Hit the gym for some strength training to lift and firm things up if you need to see changes. At 17 my 5' 6" daughter was 142 lbs and sporting a 4 pack. She played volleyball and did swim team for years. She never did a diet, just ate and trained for success.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3500 calorie defecit?? I hope that's a typo? You just need to cut 500 calories from your daily allowance to lose healthily
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    3500 calorie defecit?? I hope that's a typo? You just need to cut 500 calories from your daily allowance to lose healthily

She was talking about you need to hypothetically burn off 3500 more calories than you eat to lose 1 pound of fat...not a 3500 calorie deficit daily. At least, I *hope* that's what she meant.