Make your own yogurt - in the crockpot!

Options
DesertRains
DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
I have done this twice now, using skim milk. It does turn out slightly thinner than store-bought yogurt (which usually has a pectin or gelatin added as thickeners) but can be strained to the thickness of your liking, all the way to greek yogurt if you want!

You will need:

1 Crockpot :) - any kind works, I use my basic one with a warm/low/high dial, not my set-your-own-temp-and-timer schmancy one.
1/2 gallon milk of your choice - make sure it is not ultra-pasturized, or this won't work. Any fat content will work.
1/2 cup of PLAIN starter yogurt - any brand, any fat content from non to full fat will work, but it must be plain and have live active cultures.
1 heavy towel or small blanket

Put your milk into the crockpot, heat on low for 3 1/2 hours
Turn crockpot off, take off lid, let milk cool (not to cold - the goal is to get it from hot to warm) for 30 min.
While the milk cools, take your yogurt starter out and let it come to room temp.
Take 1 cup warm milk from the crock, mix in a separate bowl with yogurt starter
Whisk the yogurt/milk mixture back into the crockpot with the rest of the milk, incorporate gently, but well.
Take crock and lid out of crockpot base, wrap the whole thing in towel/blanket
Put the bundle in your oven and turn on oven light (do not turn on your oven!, just the light!)
Leave at least 8 hours - I do mine overnight. Don't be tempted to peek, just let it sit undisturbed.
After 8 hours, voila! Yogurt!
Store in the fridge, wait 4 hours before eating, as it will thicken further.
Strain after chilling if you want it thicker/greek style.
Add-ins like fruit, honey, etc. should be added after chilling.
Be sure to save 1/2 cup for starting your next batch!

Replies

• C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just might have to try this sometime. Thanks!
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make this weekly and have for years.
    For a gallon of milk-I also add about a cup of stevia (the stuff that comes big bags that measure cup for cup like sugar). To get custard style I add a heaping TBSP of unflavored gelatin, vanilla powder or liquid, and a half a cup of powdered milk while the milk is heating. The gelatin is optional, the powdered milk will make it thicker as will using whole milk. Also, you only need about a 1 TBSP of starter per quart of milk. Many people think adding more will make it work better but this is not true. I use 1/4 cup for a gallon of milk. Heating the milk and holding it at 180 degrees for a while also helps to make a thicker yogurt. Add the starter when the milk has cooled to 114-115 degrees for best results.
    For Greek yogurt simply strain it in a coffee filter or yogurt strainer/cheese maker. I culture mine in my dehydrator but there are other ways to culture. Soooo, much cheaper than buying it.
  • DesertRains
    Options
    I make this weekly and have for years.
    For a gallon of milk-I also add about a cup of stevia (the stuff that comes big bags that measure cup for cup like sugar). To get custard style I add a heaping TBSP of unflavored gelatin, vanilla powder or liquid, and a half a cup of powdered milk while the milk is heating. The gelatin is optional, the powdered milk will make it thicker as will using whole milk. Also, you only need about a 1 TBSP of starter per quart of milk. Many people think adding more will make it work better but this is not true. I use 1/4 cup for a gallon of milk. Heating the milk and holding it at 180 degrees for a while also helps to make a thicker yogurt. Add the starter when the milk has cooled to 114-115 degrees for best results.
    For Greek yogurt simply strain it in a coffee filter or yogurt strainer/cheese maker. I culture mine in my dehydrator but there are other ways to culture. Soooo, much cheaper than buying it.

Thanks for the tips - the original recipe I found called for 1/2 cup starter, I will try with less!
    :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

If you use a gallon of milk, do you get a gallon of yogurt or does it condense? Does it freeze/thaw ok? How long does it last in the fridge before going bad?
  • nigelwood3
    Options
    Fantastic, thank you.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have done this twice now, using skim milk. It does turn out slightly thinner than store-bought yogurt (which usually has a pectin or gelatin added as thickeners) but can be strained to the thickness of your liking, all the way to greek yogurt if you want!

You will need:

1 Crockpot :) - any kind works, I use my basic one with a warm/low/high dial, not my set-your-own-temp-and-timer schmancy one.
    1/2 gallon milk of your choice - make sure it is not ultra-pasturized, or this won't work. Any fat content will work.
    1/2 cup of PLAIN starter yogurt - any brand, any fat content from non to full fat will work, but it must be plain and have live active cultures.
    1 heavy towel or small blanket

Put your milk into the crockpot, heat on low for 3 1/2 hours
    Turn crockpot off, take off lid, let milk cool (not to cold - the goal is to get it from hot to warm) for 30 min.
    While the milk cools, take your yogurt starter out and let it come to room temp.
    Take 1 cup warm milk from the crock, mix in a separate bowl with yogurt starter
    Whisk the yogurt/milk mixture back into the crockpot with the rest of the milk, incorporate gently, but well.
    Take crock and lid out of crockpot base, wrap the whole thing in towel/blanket
    Put the bundle in your oven and turn on oven light (do not turn on your oven!, just the light!)
    Leave at least 8 hours - I do mine overnight. Don't be tempted to peek, just let it sit undisturbed.
    After 8 hours, voila! Yogurt!
    Store in the fridge, wait 4 hours before eating, as it will thicken further.
    Strain after chilling if you want it thicker/greek style.
    Add-ins like fruit, honey, etc. should be added after chilling.
    Be sure to save 1/2 cup for starting your next batch!

I do something similar using half and half instead of milk.
    After I add the cultures to the cream, I pour the cream into mason jars.
    Instead of using the oven, I put the mason jars in a coleman cooler that has been partially filled with warm water (if you can't put your hand in it, its too hot!!). The water level should not be higher than the screw on lid of the mason jars.
    Close the lid and leave it along for 8-24hrs. (Edited to add: it gets more tart the longer you let it incubate).
    The yogurt is super yum!!!

I'm the only one who eats yogurt, but I usually make a gallon at a time. Because the mason jars are sealed, I only have to open one at a time instead of the larger crock container. I can usually eat the batch within 3 weeks and have had no issues with spoilage from beginning to end.

Also, you can use this same process to make non-dairy yogurt using canned coconut milk, almond milk, and the the insides of a probiotic pill or two for your cultures. Unfortunately, I didn't care for the flavor and didnt make the non-dairy version again.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    I do it all the time! Leave mine for almost 24 hours sometimes :) Loooove it
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference. Thanks for posting this.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bump! I will have to try this!
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i am going to try this, too!
  • DesertRains
    Options
    BUMP!

If you use a gallon of milk, do you get a gallon of yogurt or does it condense? Does it freeze/thaw ok? How long does it last in the fridge before going bad?

I think it must condense slightly, but not much - I feel like I get about 1/2 gallon of yogurt when i do 1/2 gallon of milk.
    I usually eat the batch in a week between the hubs and I, so not too sure on how long it keeps from personal experience - but I have read about two weeks.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you :)
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Bump! I eat so much yoghurt, I need to give this a try. Thanks! ^_^
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have a yoghurt maker but i'm too cared to make a whole batch.
    If i want to make a small batch do i still need to leave it overnight, or do i reduce the fermentation time?

Btw will be doing it with soy milk.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If i want to make a small batch do i still need to leave it overnight, or do i reduce the fermentation time?

Btw will be doing it with soy milk.
    Your fermentation times would remain the same.
    Also, you'll likely need to add a little bit of gelatin to thicken it since you're using soy milk.
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get a gallon back from a gallon of milk. It only condenses if you drain the whey. There will be whey on the top of the container each day. I just drain this and use it in smoothies or for lacto-fermented foods, soaked grains, baking. It condenses significantly if you drain in a coffee filter or a yogurt cheese strainer ( I use this to make Greek yogurt). Again I save the whey for other purposes.

Our gallon never lasts long with my family, but I agree with the other poster that 3 weeks would be fine. Consider the use by date from the market...

Just make sure your containers are sterile and whatnot. I have frozen yogurt to use as the starter without issue. BTW many fermented dairy products are this easy - creme fraiche, buttermilk, sour cream....
  • greatfoodlady
    Options
    Yummmm, going to have to try this one! thank you!!
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I may have to try this.
  • Singlemomgoingcrazy
    Options
    Bump to try
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    bumping. Must try!