Do you log zero calorie foods in your dairy?

Options

Replies

• JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Even my daily vitamin supplements, water, spices, etc.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. Sometimes just to remember what I had, in case I want it again!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are calories in pickles and hot sauce.

I leave spices and herbs out but I log everything else. Jalapenos are only 4 cals but I through it in there. I find that leaving out little things leads to leaving out bigger things.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always log them - it helps me keep on track with other things in my diet, like salt, iron, etc.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. I don't log things like sodium so I'm not going to waste my time with zero calorie stuff.

My diet is very low in sodium so I don't track it anymore. I know this from 500 days of logging in a row.
    I log anything that has even 1 calorie. I don't log zero calorie items like green tea though.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Yes, I log all of it. It's helpful to me to see how other things like sodium, fats, etc. affect my body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If I'm just tossing a few dashes of hot sauce on something, I don't bother...it's not going to make or break anything. Things like pickles do have calories, but they get away with saying zero by using small serving sizes. If you actually ate a full sized dill pickle it would have about 15-20 calories or so. Not really a big deal unless you're eating a lot of pickles...but I eat a lot of veg in general which is low in calories like that but ultimately add up to around 150 - 200 calories per day or so.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I log everything so that I can keep track of my sodium, fibre, etc.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't log anything super low calorie either...like my cup of black coffee or a shake of salt over my food. It's so small, it really doesn't matter, in my opinion. Ok, so I don't log coffee and I end up 5 calories over for the day? Big deal. In fact, I think you burn more calories that you take in with most of these zero calorie or very low calorie foods through the chewing or whatever when the calories are that negligable. But I don't log that as exercise either :wink:

Now if I was a person that really ate or drank a lot of something like that, than I would log it...like if I was drinking a gallon of coffee a day instead of 8-16 oz. Sometimes I'll log zero or very very low calorie items to have a more accurate picture of the overall nutrition of my diet. A lot of those zero calorie or trace calorie foods/drinks can have a lot of sodium for example. In general though, I eat mainly home cooked meals and don't use much salt, etc. so I don't have trouble with too much sodium or anything in my diet, so I don't worry about the extra sodium in a can of diet soda. If you are watching sodium intake carefully then you would want to log those types of food/drink.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, it goes in the diary. I drink at least 2 cups of green tea every day. 2 calories but it's an important part of my dietary picture.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    it's a personal decision. For myself, being that I'm in maintenance, usually under my calories, have low blood pressure ,and rarely eat pickles and hot sauce(the typical zero cals), I usually don't log them. it's pretty rare when i come near or go over my sodium anyway. For someone who's watching their blood pressure or sodium intake, it would be important to log them.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't add spices at all, everything else, yes. I shoot to be around my calorie goal, a bit over or under doesn't matter to me as log as I am good overall :)
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are logging solely to count calories, there is no reason to post zero calorie foods.
  • wren337
    wren337 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't log pickles, hot peppers, diet soda... it's just noise. anything 10-20 calories is margin of error anyway. if you think food labels etc are that exact you're mistaken.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. Pickles and hot sauce can pack a high amount of sodium and that is something I am trying to keep low.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do, I log green tea which is 0, it keeps track of what I'm taking in calories or not
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes into my mouth.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I don't log hot sauce, spices or dill pickles or diet pop. Counting calories is such a unexact science, Id find it a bit nit-picky.

I also don't track sodium to be honest. I am personally not sold on it's "evils".
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst people's bubbles but, diet soda, depending on the flavor and brand, has 4-7 calories per 12 oz serving. Green tea/herbal tea has 2 calories per 8 oz (unsweetened).