Taking a day off of working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Your days off are when your body repairs the damage you've done, you should only be working out 5 days per week max, let your body rest and it'll repay you, you'll also enjoy it a bit more if you're not constantly going for it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depending on what exactly you are doing, you should be taking at least one or two rest days per week. Exercise is great for you...but it is also very hard on the body depending on what you're doing...you have to let your body have time for recovery. Many of the fitness benefits of exercise come with rest and recovery...you don't have to be and shouldn't be balls to the wall 7 days per week.

I'm training for an endurance event currently...I take two rest days weekly. Note that a rest day doesn't mean you just sit on your *kitten* all day. i go for walks...do a little yoga, etc. I just don't do anything super taxing to my body and let it rest. If I didn't, there's no way I'd be able to up my mileage on my bike every single week...I'd just bonk and plateau.

You have to start thinking of exercise from a fitness and health standpoint rather than a weight control standpoint...you can largely use your diet for weight control.