My Weekly Gain - Curves Anyone?

Options
My life is working for 7 days overnights, then I have 7 days off when I flip my days and nights back. Each 7 days off, I always gain weight. I have chronic pain, so when I spend an hour on my bicycle, my back is in spasms for another couple of days. I also drink wine every evening, which helps with the spasms. The wine always puts my calories up to around 1,500 which cause me to gain weight. During my week off, I eat a sensible dinner after I get up and have coffee, have 1 lean pocket during my 9.5 hour work shift, then have a breakfast bar during my drive home. I go right to bed after I get home (1.5 hour commute each way).

I'm starting my week off, and I always lose weight by keeping my calories down to 900 to 1,000 per day. My normal pattern is gain 2 pounds during my week off, lose 2 pounds during my work week. I keep yo-yo-ing back and forth. I have not had any weight loss for over a month.

I obviously need to exercise. I have a free gym at the community center where I live, but it is always so packed. I'm thinking maybe of going to Curves. I used to go there before I moved here. I quit because of my free gym. Does anyone here go to Curves? If so, has it helped you with your weight loss?

Replies

• lvsnick
    Options
    I also used to be a member (a looonnngg time ago) I was waiting until I lost half my goal weight and Curves was going to be my mid-point reward. I am also curious if anyone is going and is it helping?? :happy:
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have friends who go to Curves and it seems to work for them.

One thing I did back in the "Old Days" when I had to change night and days. I picked a time that was nutral between them to use as my sleep time. That way I was always awake during the hours when I worked both day and night. I know it is very hard, but something to think about.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think you could get just as much benefit from bodyweight exercises than going to Curves, and it will be free still.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think that getting out is good for you to that way you can meet new people and stay motivated.
  • thoward74
    thoward74 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves and love love love it! BUT, I will say - it is all about what you put into it. You can go and do a "ho-hum" work out or you can got and it can kick your butt. :laugh: I typically go 3-5 times a week, probably average 4 times a week. I do three time around the circuit, which works about to about 35 minutes a time. Sometimes I go 4 times around, but now that I'm back in school, it isn't as easy to find time to go around 4 times.

I admit I have not weighed and measured at Curves to track my progress, but by my scales at home I've lost 55 lbs and dropped about 4-5 pant sizes since the middle of April. So it both helps with both the weight and the shape.

As I said before, its all in how hard you work out. I have been a member for 5 years, but I really stepped it up and started working out HARD in mid April. Its all in how hard you work out, how long you do it, and how fast your heart rate is (I'm often in the 80% on the chart).
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    never done it personally but my mom went a few years back and it was working for her then. i say anything that will get you exercising is a good thing. if a packed free gym isnt doing it for you, you need something else, even if it means paying a fee. good luck with finding the right place to exercise for you! :)
  • FlashBang
    Options
    When are you drinking your wine? I saw a report that women who drink wine are not as heavy as women who don't. The Doc,. I think it was Manny Alvarez, but I am probably remembering that wrong, it was on Fox, said that women metabolize alcohol differently and usually drink it before dinner as opposed to with food. He thought it might curb appetite in women. Now, he stressed moderation, one glass for women, and red. So, you might try switching your routine. If you can just get rid of one of those pounds you gain you will be money ahead. Oh, and they won't let me in curves, not sure what the deal is.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Curves and I think that it is a great decision!

I definitely agree with what has already been said: the work out that you get at Curves is the work out that you put into it - and that's really so that any woman can use the machines safely and effectively. Having had the experience of a conventional gym now that I'm at college, I definitely appreciate the way that at Curves, you don't have to wait for what you want, and that you're given a full workout targeting a variety of muscle groups. It's definitely effective if you stick to it and are honest with yourself about what you're putting in.

But also, the community at Curves is great. It's kind of like this website - but in person! As a staff member, it was my job to encourage women working out and provide the support and knowledge that they might need. The structure is very supportive of women trying to be or stay healthy - and it makes you want to come back (which I've never felt with a conventional gym).
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    anyone know membership costs in Canada?