why when i try to lose weight my period cycle become longer

Options
my regular period cycle was 28 days. but since i try to lose weight, my cycle becomes longer. now it took around 7-8 weeks. i don't know what went wrong. my MFP calorie goal is 1200 cal. i set my goal to lose 0.5 kg/week. for the first 5 week, i ate around that 1200 cal and i exercised 3-4 times/week (weight lifting). and i didn't get my period yet. and when i tried to eat more calorie + reducing my exercise, 1 week later i got my period. why? and what should i do next? i'm so new on this thing :cry: :cry:

Replies

• lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Hormones and body shock.stick with the second plan-Your body is telling you that its the better plan.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Major changes to your diet and exercise can impact hormone production or make your body think you are potentially facing lean times, which is not ideal for pregnancy, so the first part of your cycle lasts longer. Given the way menstrual cycles work, the eating more calories/reducing the exercise had no impact on when your period arrives (that is pre-determined by when you ovulate).

Also keep in mind that most women, even the most regular of regular cycle women, will experience odd fluctuations for no apparent reason. It is normal for cycles to vary in length, and normal cycles can be anywhere from 21 to 35 days long. Stress can delay ovulation (thus delaying your period), and stress to your body can be caused by diet, exercise, lack of proper sleep just as much as mental or emotional stress at work or home.

It is possibly irritating, but it's not abnormal or anything to be terribly concerned about unless the cycles continue to get longer and longer, at which point it's worth bringing up with your OB/GYN.
  • sarahdaniels600
    Options
    MFP really ticks me off. 1,200 calories is probably less than my toddler eats and yet it seems to suggest it for most women. I am 5'2 and 9st5lbs and I am losing weight on much more than that. I have maintained around this weight in the past at about 2,000 a day and that is when I am NOT nursing. According to MPF I should be gaining weight but I am losing it. I don't do any strenuous exercise, but I do walk a lot because I don't drive and I hate public transport. 1,200 calories is simply not enough for you. Up your calorie intake to 1,500 and you should still lose weight pretty fast even if you are not that physically active. Don't get me wrong, 1,200 calories is fine for some women, but MFP dishes this number out way too much.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    I agree with all the above; losing your period is a warning sign that you're not nourished enough, or are pushing your body too hard. I'd stick with a calorie intake where you still get regular cycles and your body functions normally -- you might lose weight even faster with a little more food, in fact! :)