Is it possible that I wanted it too badly?

Options
I started my journey close to a year ago.. losing 15 pounds right off the bat. For the last 6 months I have been losing a few pounds, and gaining a few pounds. I have been consumed by my weight loss or lack there of and completed stressed about it. ( I am getting married May 17) I have pretty much felt like giving up because as of today... I know I will not be my goal weight on my wedding day. This thinking has led to not logging my food, not going to the gym and eating horribly the last two weeks.

I was smart, got a wedding dress that I feel good in at my current weight... so that is not an issue, more that I am just dissapointed in myself.

But today is a new day. I am working on a new attitude, one that is proud of the 15 pounds gone.. and one that does not have a "goal" of May 17th anymore. My goal is to be healthy, make better choices and exercise. Hopefully by taking the stress off myself, I will EVENTUALLY" reach my goal weight.

Thanks for listening!!

Replies

• Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding and wanting to get healthy for the long run.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to reframe things! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and best of luck with your new, long-term goals.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    congrats. I think you probably over shot is all. just think of it that way and lower you're expectations. takes the pressure off to know that your dress will fit no matter what.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    Good new goal! You don't want to get skinny just long enough to get married and then fall over dead, right? You want to have a long, happy, healthy life with the new hubby.
  • judi25g
    judi25g Posts: 2
    Options
    Good for you for writing about and being honest with yourself about your progress and fears. It takes a lot of courage to keep trying and you are fighting the good fight. Good luck to you ... and you'll be a beautiful bride!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No need to give up just because you may not reach your goal in the time frame you originally set. Maybe you are stressing too much. You've got the rest of your life ahead of you, just keep moving in the right direction and you should eventually get there.

I'm glad you're reevaluating your goal and making adjustments to your timeline. (Just DO NOT give up and waste the great work you've already accomplished.) When May 17 rolls around, you can be proud of the 15 you already lost - and who knows, by then you may have dropped another 5? That's 15-20 extra pounds you won't be carrying down the aisle! Stick with it and don't stop after the wedding, either! Make this a permanent lifestyle change. :flowerforyou:
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    First congrats on the upcoming wedding - what a wonderful time in life!
    Second, DO NOT GIVE UP on your diet and exercise routine! You have accomplished a lot and can continue to lose. Everyone runs into hurdles on their journey. Keep working towards your goal weight and relax your timeline expectations. But do not give up all together. Put the last two weeks behind you and recommit to making and maintaining a better you. You know it's the right thing to do for yourself. Hopefully your fiance will be a source of encouragement as well.
    Best of luck and add a few MFP friends if you need some extra encouragement or accountability!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Every time that I find that I'm just fluxuating back and forth in weight and not getting anywhere it's time to stop and take a look at what's really going on. Most of the time, for me, it's that I've become a little lax in my food intake, or my portions have slowly grown. And unfortunately you can't out exercise a bad diet, so increasing your exercise isn't always the answer.

Take a week to honestly log EVERYTHING and then take a look. Usually you'll find some nasty little habits that you've developed and didn't notice. (Mine was an m&ms every night habit... even though they WERE portioned out) Get consistent with your exercise and keep your eating and sleeping steady and you should see a change. Oh! and if you aren't doing strength training 2-3 times a week that can make a HUGE difference.

I'm getting married in June so I understand your frantic feeling as it inches closer. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Take a deep breath, reassess and then change your goals to what will work for you in the present.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yes, you did. And I did exactly the same thing. I'm getting married on the 5th June and for the whole of last year I gained a few and lost a few, so I know exactly how you feel. It's taken me a long time to accept the fact that I won't be my target size for my wedding and be ok with it. I'm doing this for my health, not for my wedding.

You will still look beautiful on your wedding day despite not being the size you want to be. And you will still be at least 15lb lighter. Be proud. :flowerforyou: