Just discovered unsweetened almond milk!

Options
I LOATHE making my protein shakes with water. Its disgusting. But, I was struggling with even using skim milk, between the calorie and sugar content of it to justify it in my morning protein shake.

Then...I saw half gallons of Silk on sale at WalMart. I've never had it, but I bit the bullet and bought one to give it a try.

It is actually really good. I don't know if I would use it outside of my protein shake, but it doesn't need sweetener. I do add sugar free hazelnut syrup to my shakes though...I am a fiend for hazelnut (nutella is DANGEROUS lol)

So...yeah. Oh! Bonus!

The kids and husband won't TOUCH it, so i don't have to worry about running out an inopportune times.

Replies

• caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I discovered it last week and I'm hooked too. It's really great poured over cereal. I hate skim milk so the almond milk is a nice alternative.The vanilla unsweetened is my fave.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is awesome. Not only is it a lower calorie option, but it has more calcium than regular milk. Being a small framed female with a family history of osteoperosis, that's a big deal.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have witches completely to unsweetened Almond milk and now use it for everything. Love the vanilla one!
    Stef.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try the vanilla one...did you guys know they make a DARK CHOCOLATE one?? Im curious about that one, but then itll kinda nix the whole "Im looking for less calories" thing i guess. Right now, 30 cal for a cup is pretty damn awesome. And yeah! The calcium content is what, like 45% of you RDA for calcium per cup alone?

Fantastic stuff.
  • michellereeve2
    Options
    I use the unsweetened vanilla as creamer for my coffee :)
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like the plain unsweetened over cereal. Its also really great to use in instant oatmeal, gives the oatmeal a bit of a richer taste than just hot water that I use at work.
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been using almond unsweetened milk since new year for everything even in my cups of tea I love it. When I go to a friends I can tell the difference when she gives me a cuppa with semi skimmed cows milk.
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Dark Chocolate one is sinful! I drink that as an after dinner treat if I am under my calorie goal. It tastes like melted ice cream!
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The only concern I have about switching entirely to almond milk is the protein content, its non-existent! Has anyone tried the Almond Milk+ that has extra protein supplemented? Is it good?
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah...i was worried about that too...but Im already getting between 80 to 150 grams of protein everyday between my shakes and greek yogurt, etc....so I wasn't too worried.

I didn't know they made Almond Milk+.....sounds interesting!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I mix it up and drink non-fat dairy milk in my protein shake, soy milk with dinner, and then alternate between almond milk one week and coconut milk the next for everything else.

I didn't care for the unsweetened almond milk. I bought it once and forgot I had purposely bought unsweetened. I thought the milk had gone bad. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it until I checked the label a couple days later.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I make my oatmeal, morning protein smoothie, and nighttime protein pudding with almond milk. I think the best part for me is that I'm always reaching my calcium goals now. I always struggled with that. I wish I had hidden mine from my husband! He discovered it and we are now going through 4 gallons a week. Something that he does with his protein shakes (especially when his powder is vanilla or chocolate) is using coconut water. So if you're ever looking to switch up the almond milk, give that a go too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened vanilla. I use it pretty much anywhere I would use regular milk - in my coffee, in cereal/oatmeal, smoothies, scrambled eggs (tastes just fine - I was worried at first but you can't tell the difference).
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy to make your own almond milk, and you can make almond flour from the solids.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like it with smoothies and shakes. Can't stand it with cereal.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I switched completely to almond milk for everything. Cereal, macaroni & cheese, pancakes, any other recipe that calls for milk.

Seriously the best stuff ever. I wish I had known of it's awesomeness sooner.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i use unsweetened almond milk in my protein shakes but cant bare it in my tea, just tastes all wrong to me
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The only concern I have about switching entirely to almond milk is the protein content, its non-existent! Has anyone tried the Almond Milk+ that has extra protein supplemented? Is it good?

Love this brand which adds more protein:

almmilk.jpg
  • mif2jc
    mif2jc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few people talk about being concerned about getting enough protein. It really is a myth that you need to have dairy to get enough protein.

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?catId=7&pageId=4753
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also made the switch and enjoy the unsweetened (either original or vanilla, very little difference). I use it on oatmeal and in tea and coffee. Having it in coffee turned out to be a difficult adjustment but I'm more or less used to it now. It is more expensive than skim milk but only half the calories. Being an older woman, my daily calorie allotment is very small, so any way I can save calories is a good thing. One thing I did notice is that if you enjoy making sugar/fat-free instant puddings, be aware that the almond milk will not set up the pudding; it stays pretty much a liquid. Just not the same chemical reaction as with skim milk (or other dairy milk).