How do i have my 5 a day but keep sugars down?

Options
Its all in the title ^^^^^ . HELP PLEASE?

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit your sugar, I'd say just ignore it. Especially if the majority of it is from fruit. :)
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is not the issue. If you are diabetic, it's a different story. All natural sugars found in fruit are ok for your body.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    well my diabetes bloods were up last week and ive been given the option to try to reverse it.. i should know more tomorrow in the meantime im just trying to keep my sugar as low as possible :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Vegetables instead of fruit?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Eat 4 vegetables and 1 fruit.
  • bl1nk6
    Options
    oh my god! thank you.. its so obvious, im afraid the lack of sugar has gone to my brain! :embarassed:
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Fructose is still sugar you body will treat it the same. It will still spike your blood sugar. So telling someone fruit is ok is not necessarily true. You need to test the fruit using a glucose meter. Each of us are snowflake and different. For diabetics this is especially important to know what foods spike your blood sugar. For some wheat bread will spike it higher than candy. Vegetables are probably safer but again you need to test. I am not just throwing %@%@ out there. I tested a quest low carb bar and got a 45 point spike. My hubby tested the same bar and got no noticeable spike. Stevia doesn't affect me at all but Splenda might as well be sugar. So my best advice is test test test.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you track carbs, you already track sugar as sugar is a carb. That goes for all sugars. Instead, track something like fiber.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    VEGETABLES.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Sweet potato, i usually make them into wedges but mash is cool too tastes absolutely unreal, 100 grams has 20 grams of carbs in zero sugar and it's one of your five a day :)
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had to really monitor his blood sugar very closely. He said that walking seemed to lower his blood sugar better than anything. it effected his blood sugar more than watching what he ate, which he he did that also. Are you exercising?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Sweet potato, i usually make them into wedges but mash is cool too tastes absolutely unreal, 100 grams has 20 grams of carbs in zero sugar and it's one of your five a day :)

Sweet potatoes have a lot of natural sugar and can significantly raise a Diabetic person's blood sugar
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    If you track carbs, you already track sugar as sugar is a carb. That goes for all sugars. Instead, track something like fiber.

She is a Diabetic. She has to track ALL sugars.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The sugars contained within whole natural food, like fruits and vegetables, were never the problem, and those foods should NEVER be avoided because of the sugar within them. They are loaded with nutrients, anti-oxidants, water, fiber, etc, and getting sugar as part of that complete package is not an issue.

The problems we have with sugar stem from us removing the sugar from the whole plant food, and then eating it in concentrations that were never found in nature.

Eat all the fruit you want!!! Eat all the veggies you can stand!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Fructose is still sugar you body will treat it the same. It will still spike your blood sugar. So telling someone fruit is ok is not necessarily true. You need to test the fruit using a glucose meter. Each of us are snowflake and different. For diabetics this is especially important to know what foods spike your blood sugar. For some wheat bread will spike it higher than candy. Vegetables are probably safer but again you need to test. I am not just throwing %@%@ out there. I tested a quest low carb bar and got a 45 point spike. My hubby tested the same bar and got no noticeable spike. Stevia doesn't affect me at all but Splenda might as well be sugar. So my best advice is test test test.

^^^This^^^ We all react differently to different types of natural sugars (fructose, glucose and galactose), In general though, the recommendation to eat more vegetables and fewer fruits is a good one since most vegetable contain small amounts of simple sugars. The carbohydrates are bound in fiber and diluted by lots of water so they won't have the impact on your blood sugar as would say...a handful of raisins.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    well my diabetes bloods were up last week and ive been given the option to try to reverse it.. i should know more tomorrow in the meantime im just trying to keep my sugar as low as possible :)
    Google "Intramyocellular lipid". You can keep your blood sugar lower by consuming less fat in your diet. In fact, many people have actually reversed their diabetes by following a diet with no animal fats and minimal vegetable oils.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The food pyramid is not actually that accurate. I never eat 5 a day of fruit because it's too sweet for me. If you are diabetic you should minimize sweet fruits anyway. You can get all those nutrients out of veggies. If you want fruits and sugars are an issue, stick with the less sweet types, like blueberries and so forth. Avoiding grains will go a long way in managing your blood sugars as well. Veggies, grass fed meats, and lots of fat (coconut oil) is where it's at.
  • bl1nk6
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.. This is all new to me, its really confusing the hell out of me lol I am taking it all in though and following links thanks.

i didnt have diabetes, i dont know how bad it is yet but i had my bloods taken last week routine check up and they all came back high, they said i could reverse the diabetes and nothing else just more blood tests.

i have been exercising but not regular recently due to a back injury,(bloody back is gonna be the death of me at this rate, thats how i ended up gaining weight ) im just getting back into it.. with walking and yoga. Been refered to physio too now.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.. This is all new to me, its really confusing the hell out of me lol I am taking it all in though and following links thanks.

i didnt have diabetes, i dont know how bad it is yet but i had my bloods taken last week routine check up and they all came back high, they said i could reverse the diabetes and nothing else just more blood tests.

i have been exercising but not regular recently due to a back injury,(bloody back is gonna be the death of me at this rate, thats how i ended up gaining weight ) im just getting back into it.. with walking and yoga. Been refered to physio too now.

You might want to watch the yoga. A friend acquired back trouble during her first pregnancy and she decided to take up yoga, after she delivered. When she told her chiropractor that she was doing yoga, he freaked--said prolonged stretching is bad for bad backs and gave her a series of exercise to do that were designed to help. She is much better since she stopped the yoga. Here's a N.Y. Times article on the problem of yoga-induced back injuries: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As for diet, I brought my high blood sugar (and high blood pressure) down to normal with a lower carbohydrate diet (not ketogenic--I keep it around 100 grams a day) that emphasizes vegetables and lean protein. I eat no added sugar or sugary foods and limit my fruit and grain (I eat no wheat and limit my organic oats and organic whole rye to one serving a day) . If your high blood sugar is aggravated by excess estrogen (a powerful promoter of high blood sugar), you might want to limit animal fat in favor of monounsaturated fat (olive oil, avocado oil and nut oils) as cholesterol is a feed base for making all kinds of hormones. (But don't go too low.) A balance of healthful foods is very important to combating any health issue. :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    have 5 portions of vegetables, as originally intended.