What Juice Do You Drink?

Options
I recently read on the hungry girl website that Trop50 is actually better than regular sugary drinks because it's about half as sugary, should I go for it?

I grocery shop on Thursdays and I'm trying to make a list that I can be proud of
so far I have:
oatmeal
I am replaceing my domino sugar with splenda,
(well my husband can use up the rest of the domino while I venture in the world of splenda lol)
Frozen veggies are on the list now.
Hubby likes to buy ice cream but I need to find ice cream that we both can have that won't ruin my healthy eating so there's a challenge.
Soda, there are some 0 calorie 0 sugar sodas but I'm not sure about those
And lastly Juice but........

what drinks are good for you?
Snapple is only 5% juice and
Welch's is 100% but there are sayings that it's too sugary

Are there any good drinks I can find in my local grocery store that I can drink without worrying about high sugar levels and calories?
I drink water and experiment with those water spritzers but I still miss straight up juice.:drinker: :sad:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice in general can have just as much sugar and calories as a soda. Drinking **** tons of fruit juice really isn't "good for you." You're better off just eating the fruit really. I do drink low sodium V8 and that's about it. If I'm going to have fruit juice, it's usually only on a Saturday or Sunday and I generally squeeze my own orange juice.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi - real fruit is filling and better than juice. But if you want some real juicy fruit, get some oranges or tangerines.. they are so juicy i swear its better than fruit juice!

Ice cream - i swear that slow churned type ice cream tastes like those very expensive gourmet full fat ice cream but is less fat (maybe half? I dont remember). Tastes great!

if you insist on juice, you might like the ones like POM which is supposed to be better as far as juices, and I heard dark cherry juice was supposed to be healthier (yes i heard it on Dr Oz, but see for yourself).

I personally love milk, and maybe you can have some ice tea if you really want some flavor, even if you add sugar its better than soda pop.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't drink juice because it's not worth the carbs, FOR ME. That is not to say that you can't drink juice if you don't want to. I drink water and milk (when I have it in a protein shake or the occasional bowl of cereal). Fortunately, I've never had a can of soda in my life so I don't have to deal with breaking that habit.

If you want to drink drinks with less sugar, that's fine. otherwise, drink whatever you want and make it fit into your daily calorie and macronutrient goals. This same advice goes for ice cream, bread, pasta, cereal, cookies, doughnuts, pizza, chicken nuggets, literally anything you want to eat.

Personally, I find it way, way more satisfying to buy fruit and either eat it whole or make fresh orange/grapefruit/whatever juice on my own.
  • wijody
    wijody Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink juice is when I make scrambled eggs for dinner - something about eggs makes me *need* OJ with it.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've cut back big time on my juice intake. 120-140 calories/glass isn't worth it. I now drink half-cups or I just add a splash to bubbly or still water. If I really want a big glass of something with flavour, I drink diet soda or Mio/Crystal Light. When I DO buy juice, I look for one labelled "juice" and not "drink" or "cocktail" as they have added sugar. But I watch my consumption of all.
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The registered dietitian I met with once recommended that if I want juice, I should only drink half a cup of real fruit juice a day. It does count towards a fruit serving, however as others stated it's not quite as beneficial as eating a real piece of fruit.

I usually have half a cup of Trop50 every day, or Blue Menu's Reduced Sugar Orange Juice. I'd probably actually drink regular OJ were it not for the fact that my husband is a type 1 diabetic, so we obviously need to cut out the sugar. You may actually get more nutrients from a regular cup of Tropicana than the diet variety, but I could be wrong.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't drink juice. Not wasting the calories when actual fruit is so much better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ocean spray diet cran pom juice..10 cals a cup.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Never drink the stuff :-) too sweet, and not worth the calories per glass.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Juice is okay for an occasional treat if you really like it, but it's pretty much just sugar and empty calories like other soft drinks. It's not something you should have all the time unless you've got lots of calories left in your day.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm way to focused on eating food to drink any calories :P I drink Iced Coffee protein shake thingy in the morning and water only. Unless I'm drinking vodka - then I have juice. Calorie overload. haha. That is infrequent and I go over my calories on those days.

There is lots of ice cream at my house too. I love sherbet, which is far fewer calories and very refreshing in the summer especially, and I just eat the regular ice cream much less often or have a bite or two if I'm out of calories and just can't say no.

I have a house full of foods I cook, serve, and hardly eat anymore. It was way easier when I was single and only had things for me around but I just have to deal.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any juice as I prefer to eat my calories.

If I'm going to drink calories, it's going to be a chocolate malt or vodka.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I juice my own juices. the flavor is more intense than store bought
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't drink store-bought juice. I make my own juices so I can add veggies & not sugar :-)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Fermented barley malt juice, with infusions of humulus lupulus. It comes in an amazing variety of flavors and, ahem, potencies. :wink:

Other juices aren't worth it.
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking veggie juices and fruit juices daily.

Lost 18lbs so far.

I never buy juice, I make my own.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i have pear juice that i mix half and half with water

have a small glass when the mood takes me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's not worth the calories at all, I haven't drunk juice once in 13 months.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Juice isn't bad. I drink organic pear juice every so often when I want to.

Ice cream isn't bad. I eat the real stuff. No artificial sweeteners. As basic as I can get it.

Sugar isn't bad. Again, I eat the real stuff. If not sugar, then I use honey (for tea and the like). I can't have artificial sweeteners.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    None - I'd rather eat the fruit