Will Spinning make me fatter?

Options
A colleague at work is insisting that Spinning will make me fat as it overworks the legs so it will make me bulky and it makes the thighs hold on to the fat as if there’s no tomorrow.
I googled the subject and I saw a lot of articles saying the same.
I can’t understand how a workout that can make me burn so many calories can “make me fat”. I think weight loss has to do with having a calorie deficit. Has any of you heard anything about Spinning “fattening up” people?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your colleague is having a laugh at your expense. Or else is incredibly ignorant about physiology.

Spinning will only make you fatter if you accompany it with an excess of calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You colleague is a dip ****.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway:

That's the craziest thing I've heard in awhile - spinning making someone fat. I used tot ake spin classes at Gold's when I was able to make the class times - I didn't bulk up or get fatter from taking them. And I've never seen a regular spin attendee fat or bulky either.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    A colleague at work is insisting that Spinning will make me fat as it overworks the legs so it will make me bulky and it makes the thighs hold on to the fat as if there’s no tomorrow.
    I googled the subject and I saw a lot of articles saying the same.
    I can’t understand how a workout that can make me burn so many calories can “make me fat”. I think weight loss has to do with having a calorie deficit. Has any of you heard anything about Spinning “fattening up” people?

Nope. It takes eating at a calorie surplus and dedicated heavy lifting to gain muscle. It's actually quite difficult for women to get "bulky". Cardio exercise does not make you hold onto fat. Eating a calorie deficit will make you lose weight. Cardio exercise would be for fitness and to add to your calorie deficit by a small margin.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options
    That is -not- true! I know someone who lost 50lbs with cycling as their only exercise.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There are times in life when it's important to apply a filter of critical thinking.

This concept is either sarcasm or idiocy.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    OMG! only if your spinning while eating massive amounts of cake
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Maybe Spinning while eating 10lbs of cookie dough?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I could maybe understand if someone thought it would build muscle and therefor make your legs bigger (still NOT true), but I really can't understand how someone thinks it would actually make legs fatter (or make them not lose fat even while in a calorie deficit).
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I second this motion.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eating too much makes you fat. If spinning or cycling made you fat the Tour De France would be a most bizarre spectacle
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I think I've just discovered a cure for world hunger.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options

I second this motion.

I concur
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a spin instructor. Spinning will not make you fat unless your eating or drinking to many calories in which case that is making you fat not the spinning.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    bikes make you supa fat. :huh:

148638846_cali_530466c.jpg
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your college is an idiot. The only thing that will make you fat is over eating and not exercising.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I don't know - Sir Chris Hoys legs are massive. :smile:

Only joking - if you're eating a deficit no way will it.

In fact if your eating a deficit and lifting heavy on your legs - all they will get is toned.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The only way Spinning will make you fat is if you're gnawing on drumsticks dipped in bacon grease whilst doing it..... no small task being that it would require an extra couple limbs to be able to perform said task while spinning. Spinning is an incredible cardio workout, that while is on a Spin Bike, and you're legs are used... that's only one tiny component. It's core work, arms, back, glutes... that being said.... I don't think there's an exercise in the world that "makes you fat". Building muscle is not building fat. Two separate things entirely. Muscle = Good.
  • Bukovnik
    Bukovnik Posts: 18 Member
    Options

+1

I spun as an amateur cyclist back in the 1989-1995 time frame, and I ate whenever I wanted, and as much as I wanted, and never gained a pound. In fact, my BF went from 14% at the start to ~8% when I finished. Diet was largely carbs, low fat, with chicken and fish thrown in for good measure.

The key is consistency; I probably cycled 6 days a week (trainer in winter) for at least 45 minutes at a time....5000-8000 miles/yr.

The key to my stable weight was the exercise because as soon as I stopped, I ballooned.

Keep spinning! It's easier on your knees.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Eating too much makes you fat. If spinning or cycling made you fat the Tour De France would be a most bizarre spectacle

^^ Haha, omg, you nearly made me spit up coffee on the monitor.... oh the visual!!