your best advice

smallstepper
smallstepper Posts: 17
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Can anybody share a bit of advice for a beginner who has always had difficulty losing weight in the past? My history is that I was always at a good weight, if not a bit underweight, for years and years. But I quit smoking and soon was gaining weight. Yep, that old story. I just didn't watch my food intake I guess and filled a void that way. Plus I hear there are true chemical reactions that your body goes through that make you gain weight. Anyway, I would love to hear of any tips for starting out and not getting discouraged. I would like to lose about 30 pounds.

Replies

• Can anybody share a bit of advice for a beginner who has always had difficulty losing weight in the past? My history is that I was always at a good weight, if not a bit underweight, for years and years. But I quit smoking and soon was gaining weight. Yep, that old story. I just didn't watch my food intake I guess and filled a void that way. Plus I hear there are true chemical reactions that your body goes through that make you gain weight. Anyway, I would love to hear of any tips for starting out and not getting discouraged. I would like to lose about 30 pounds.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Just remember you didn't gain your weight over night or in a week, so take "small steps" set small goals, like in 5 lb incraments or in inches by a certain date. Just take your time, one day at a time or even a meal at a time. Drink plenty of water, that always helps to fill me up too. Good luck! Being on MFP is a great start! :flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    The best advice I could give, especially when you are starting out, is to measure your portions. I was surprised when I started with MFP.....Sometimes I was cheating myself by guessing how much I should have, other times, well, you know.................If you don't have one, get a food scale to measure your meats. It is fairly inexpensive and it helps a bunch. Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    My advice is to eat your viggies first!!! Exercise and eat consciously and moderately! However allow yourself to have a treat here and there.

zen!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Drink lots of water! You should be having 8 glasses. It is hard at first, but your body gets used to it. When I started out, I tried to drink 2 before breakfast, 2 before lunch, 2 before dinner, and 2 after dinner.

Oh, and make sure you are near a bathroom then! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.