Breastfeeding mothers???

Options
JAVAGIRLSS
JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
Any breastfeeding mothers out there? I'm new to myfitnesspal and am wondering how many calories you put in as your goal? (nursing 6 month old, she's eating 1 meal solids but still nurses 5-7 times a day). Do you put "breastfeeding" as an exercise??

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you enter in your stats, weekly weight loss goal and activity level MFP will give you a good calorie goal.

Depending on how much you need to lose will define your weekly goal...ie over 100lbs =2lbs a week 50lb=1.5 etc.

As for breast feed there are entries under food...just go to Add food search "breast feeding" and choose the one you feel fits what you are doing and it will give you a "negative" calorie entry that you need to eat to meet a net goal of the calories given by MFP.

For example...MFP Goal = 1470-400 breast feeding = 1070 but you need to net 1470 so eat another 400 calories.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    since your baby is under 1 you should probably set it for 500 extra calories. Try to be careful to not drop below 1800 calories a day, once your baby stops nursing as much and is over a year you can lower it to around 300. I put my calories under snacks, so it looks like i'm snacking on my baby, yum.

Make sure you keep your water intake up and that you're getting all the right nutrients, your baby will leach all that good stuff out of your body so you have to make sure you replace it.

You'll do great!!!! And great job for still nursing!!!!!

You can add me if you want, I've got a few breastfeeding friends, and of course myself. :D
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    There is a group specific to this topic and they are wonderful. Go to Community>Groups> Search and put in breastfeeding support. They are an awesome bunch and super helpful after I had my daughter!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No longer breastfeeding, but from past experience, I would say add 300 calories and see how it goes. This is on average where you start, and it increases to about 500 or so, as the baby becomes a toddler (assuming you keep nursing on demand). But since there is no way to be 100% sure, I would suggest to start with 300 and if you are losing too fast after a couple of weeks, then increase.