Minestrone

egbkid
egbkid Posts: 164 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Hello;

I found a recipe today for Minestrone soup, can't wait to try it, but i was wondering if anyone has made it before? The recipe i have calls for celery, carrots and onion (for veggies). Others i have searched around call for zucchini and cabbage as well. I was wondering of anyone has ever made minestrone and added a potato or sweet potatoes? I have a lot of both and want to add them, but if it will not taste good, then i do not want to waste.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Replies

• Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    For some reason I haven't made it in a long time, but I know the recipe I used to make called for zucchini. With most soups, once I've made them somewhat like the recipe once, I usually alter it to just add whatever I have on hand. I think sweet potatoes would be awesome in it. I'm sure some would argue that it's not minestrone if there are other ingredients, but who cares, make it however you want, you may find you like your new creation far better than the original! My soups tend to be a little different just about every time, but I like it that way.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Here is the recipe i used, I added a zucchini, a large potato, and some purple string beans. I used 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery and a full onion. It made 6 servings at about 250 calories each. It is a bit high in sodium, though. It was delicious!!!

1/2 cup Zesty Italian dressing
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1 can diced tomato, undrained
    1 can red kidney beaned, drained and rinsed
    2 cans vegetable broth
    2 cups water
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 + 1/2 cups small pasta shells, uncooked
    1/2 grated Parmesan.

Heat dressing in skillet on medium high heat. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.

Spoon into slow cooker, add tomato with liquid, beans broth, water, and Italian seasoning. Stir.

Cook on Low for 6 hours (3 hours on high). Stir in pasta, cook 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
  • sb1619
    sb1619 Posts: 26 Member
    I love Minestrone.

Thank you. I will give it a try this weekend.
This discussion has been closed.