How does the body use carbs from fake sugars?

So I think one of the reasons I go over in carbs, but I'm still under in cals is that I usually have some type of artifical sweetner in my protein powder. I alternate between vegan ones with stevia and my favorite cellucor flavors with sucralose. I abs hate sucralose and eating fake stuff in general but if they're zero cals, still have carbs, wouldn't the body still use the carbs? From a weight loss perspective, what happens?

Today I'm drinking the honest fizz zero cal soda with stevia, but it still has 5 carbs. Since a carb is 4 cals, is my body still using 20 calories from it?

I try to avoid artifical sweetners as much as possible, and don't even have more than one drink per day, but just curious about this.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    That's a baffling nutritional label. Presumably, if it contained 20 calories, it should be labeled as such.

My guess is that the carbohydrates are indigestible fiber that can't be metabolized. But it's just a guess.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    A bit lost on this thread as to what the question is, but to put it simply any carbs that are left after the digestive process it's turned into glucose ( whether it's and apple or a jam sandwich) it all gets turned to glucose and burned as fuel.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Ingredients:
    CARBONATED WATER, ERYTHRITOL, ORGANIC CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS, STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE.

the carbs are all erythritol, which is not digested hence zero calories as I understand it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Iirc, in America they can say something has 0 calories if it's less than 5 calories per serving.
    So yes, the whole thing still has 20 calories. Not like that's gonna make or break your diet.
  • Ok thank you everyone, they are probably not digestable (or at least I hope so), and 20 cals isn't much even if they are.

:)