Using HRM while doing circuit training?

Options
I'm considering buying a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, mostly to be able to track my calories burned during exercise more accurately. I do a lot of circuit training with weights, and I'm wondering if a HRM would calculate the calories burned from circuit training correctly.

Thanks anyone who answers!

Replies

• SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am lost without mine. I think it does a better calculations on calories burned than MFP estimates. I also have a polar ft4. It's basic but does the job.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also have an FT4 and it works well. Be sure to use to the pause function during your rest periods or you'll over calculate calories burned.

Cheers
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Short answer......no.

Heart rate monitors are next to useless when calculating caloric expenditure for anything other than steady state cardio.
  • amandalovesyouu
    amandalovesyouu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am so lost without it. It does accurately calculate the calories burned. When I am on the treadmill for a bit it will say I've burned 500 cal when my watch says 300 cal... definitely keeps me pushing. I love my ft4 and recommend everyone get one!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thanks everyone so far! Conflicting info though-- hopefully others will contribute too!
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that HRMs are not accurate for calculating calories during strength training or HIIT for that matter. I wore my HRM for the first couple times I did the circuit and it gave me what I thought would be somewhat of an accurate calorie count. If I did circuit training for 25 minutes, my heart rate would be elevated for let's say 1/2 that time (the other half resting between sets), so I just divided the number by half. Circuit training really doesn't burn that many calories, while it's happening since your heart rate isn't elevated very long, but it burns a ton while your muscles are repairing themselves! Generally, in a 25 minute circuit training session I give myself 75 to 100 calories.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Is my Polar HRM accurate for circuit training? I don't know. I do know that it does show calories burned at a level I think is fair for the effort I put into it. It's a tool that helps me know is I'm lollygagging or pushing myself.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is my Polar HRM accurate for circuit training? I don't know. I do know that it does show calories burned at a level I think is fair for the effort I put into it. It's a tool that helps me know is I'm lollygagging or pushing myself.

Yeah! I like that. I imagine the calories I burn while I am running and compare activities to that. In 10 minutes of circuit training do I feel like I burned the same amount of calories I did in 10 minutes of running? No. Not even close. Don't get yourself to hung up on it (I did) it will make you crazy. Just make sure you don't overestimate! Underestimating really can't hurt you if you listen to your body's cues for food.
  • Linnaea27
    Options

Yeah! I like that. I imagine the calories I burn while I am running and compare activities to that. In 10 minutes of circuit training do I feel like I burned the same amount of calories I did in 10 minutes of running? No. Not even close. Don't get yourself to hung up on it (I did) it will make you crazy. Just make sure you don't overestimate! Underestimating really can't hurt you if you listen to your body's cues for food.

Hmm, interesting! Thanks!

The way I do circuit training, it does feel as if I'm using about the same amount of energy as I do when I run. I think I am in better cardiovascular shape than I am in muscular shape-- so running's relatively easy but the circuit workouts I do (squats, lunges, weight exercises of various kinds done vigorously and without breaks) seem hard!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and I LOVE IT!!! I do circuit training 3 x a week and because I circuit for about 25 minutes then finish with hard cardio I normally go with my HRM of around 400kcals. I don't usually eat back all my exercise calories so it doesn't really affect me if it is an over calculation.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm considering buying a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, mostly to be able to track my calories burned during exercise more accurately. I do a lot of circuit training with weights, and I'm wondering if a HRM would calculate the calories burned from circuit training correctly.

Thanks anyone who answers!

A Heart Rate Monitor tracks what your heart rate is doing, and then extrapolates from there, along with other information like age, gender etc, to approximate calorie consumption. That extrapolation algorithm is designed for consistent HR, or transitioning smoothly. When you;re doing resistance work, or circuit training, your HR is not transitioning smoothly, it's spiking fast, and then reducing again rapidly.

As a result of that lack of smooth transition the approximations for calorie consumption are pretty inaccurate.

HRMs will give you a reliable approximation for steady state work that maintains an aerobic HR. As soon as you go anaerobic the reliability of the calorie approximation reduces significantly.

Essentially it'll give you a number, but you might as well pick a number from a list for all the usefulness.
  • Linnaea27
    Options

A Heart Rate Monitor tracks what your heart rate is doing, and then extrapolates from there, along with other information like age, gender etc, to approximate calorie consumption. That extrapolation algorithm is designed for consistent HR, or transitioning smoothly. When you;re doing resistance work, or circuit training, your HR is not transitioning smoothly, it's spiking fast, and then reducing again rapidly.

As a result of that lack of smooth transition the approximations for calorie consumption are pretty inaccurate.

HRMs will give you a reliable approximation for steady state work that maintains an aerobic HR. As soon as you go anaerobic the reliability of the calorie approximation reduces significantly.

Essentially it'll give you a number, but you might as well pick a number from a list for all the usefulness.

Hmm, that sucks. But thank you for the good explanation of the reasons it's not accurate. I wonder how accurate MFP's estimate for circuit training is. . .?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since circuit training is normally done very close to cardio, meaning the HR is kept high because the rests are kept brief, and the reps are kept high so the weight is kept down - it has a better chance of being close.

But the formula relating HR to calorie burn is entirely based on the body's use of oxygen, therefore aerobic exercise. And steady-state so the HR is the same for 2-4 min.

So normal lifting is anaerobic and opposite of steady-state, will be badly inflated calorie burn estimates.

But circuit if done as above can be a tad closer to reality - still inflated though since not steady-state HR usually, and many of the HR spikes are because of anaerobic nature still.

Just be aware of using the tool not what it was designed for, and don't trust the results that much.
    But if that is sole purpose, would you buy any other tool for using it incorrectly?

These values below at least come from studies, you might find the workout that matches yours.

Weight lifting calorie burn references from studies.
    1 MET is about 1.2 cal / kg / hr.

Pick Conditioning references, down in list you'll find several study references to the specific lifts that were done, and though MET's are listed, they really found the calorie burn for the people involved, then using MET's came up with universal value. Which can be translated back to your own weight.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/references

It's those kind of studies that the MFP and other public databases (they are usually the same though) base the info on.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a polar loop w/ an H7 hrm strap that links to it. On the polar flow app there's a graph where I can look at the spikes & trends during my workout. When I lift weights (heavy weights... not just the 5lbers I use during circuit training/boot camp) I see crazy spikes in the graphs. I go from being dead to 170+ Heart rate. The graph is fairly accurate during circuit training. I get similar results to when I use the elliptical so I'm inclined to trust it. I would say the hrm is good for cardio, even HIIT (just won't record the extra benefit/calories burned from doing the high intensity training afterwards), but it doesn't work too well for weightlifting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Short answer......no.

Heart rate monitors are next to useless when calculating caloric expenditure for anything other than steady state cardio.

^this

...and it's true even if/when others vehemently disagree claiming that it's working for them. (These people are either exceptions where their work/rest profile coincidentally has their actual results matching up with the measured results, or where they have success despite the measurement error.)

That said, if you want a HRM, then buy a HRM. It isn't like wearing it will negate the benefits of the exercise.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    Since circuit training is normally done very close to cardio, meaning the HR is kept high because the rests are kept brief, and the reps are kept high so the weight is kept down - it has a better chance of being close.

But the formula relating HR to calorie burn is entirely based on the body's use of oxygen, therefore aerobic exercise. And steady-state so the HR is the same for 2-4 min.

So normal lifting is anaerobic and opposite of steady-state, will be badly inflated calorie burn estimates.

But circuit if done as above can be a tad closer to reality - still inflated though since not steady-state HR usually, and many of the HR spikes are because of anaerobic nature still.

Just be aware of using the tool not what it was designed for, and don't trust the results that much.
    But if that is sole purpose, would you buy any other tool for using it incorrectly?

These values below at least come from studies, you might find the workout that matches yours.

Weight lifting calorie burn references from studies.
    1 MET is about 1.2 cal / kg / hr.

Pick Conditioning references, down in list you'll find several study references to the specific lifts that were done, and though MET's are listed, they really found the calorie burn for the people involved, then using MET's came up with universal value. Which can be translated back to your own weight.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/references

It's those kind of studies that the MFP and other public databases (they are usually the same though) base the info on.

Wow, thanks very much. That link is very useful-- as a scientist, I really appreciate having that kind of source information! My computer here is too slow to view the conditioning exercise document properly, but when I get home I'll have another look.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar FT4!!! Would be lost without it!!!
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    Oh duh, I think more than one person was wondering if I'm going to be using the HRM exclusively for circuit training-- the answer to the question is no, I run, cross-country ski, bike, and hike a lot as well. So even if it's somewhat inaccurate for my circuit workouts, it will still be useful for my other activities.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In that case, I'd recommend the RS300X, as the cheapest that has the required VO2max stat and self-test. (well, if on sale)
    Also has great HR zone options as different workouts are desired.
    Also can add optional accessories later of GPS unit, bike cadence/speed sensor, and foodpod treadmill, that will all sync their info for display and recording on the HRM.

It's like a piece-meal Garmin.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 and love it , it doesn't matter if it cant track the exact calories on strength training ... it gives you a close enough number for you to work with