So I lost enough fat to see how fat I am

Options
So this is day one of week five working with a personal trainer twice a week. He has not been able to measure my back because my skin was so tight and have not been able to measure my BF%. Well today we tried again and after 17lb loss working with him the first 4 weeks we where able to measure me. I am at 5'11" 234lb and 28% BF. My goal weight is 190. I need to loose another 20lb to just be off the obese list with my BMI.

It was a good day and felt good to laugh at myself for not being so fat we cant se how fat I am.

Replies

• heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Now that's funny!
    It's a win, no matter how you look at it. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all. You're not obese according to your body fat %.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

For men yes it is. Over 25% fat is in the obese range. At 234 and nearly 30% body fat, he's got almost 70 lbs of body fat.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your "bodyfat" percentage. Those calipers he's measuring with are VASTLY inaccurate. VASTLY. Just focus on your own measurements, how clothes are fitting, and how your health is improving. The % doesn't matter even for people in bodybuilding competitions, so don't worry your head with that totally subjective number.
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options

For men yes it is. Over 25% fat is in the obese range. At 234 and nearly 30% body fat, he's got almost 70 lbs of body fat.

Thanks for laying it out in a depressing way. I have man boobs and a big belly all I need is a mirror to tell me Im obese LOL. But I have started wearing some old XL shirts the past week or so. Its nice to have one less "X" in front of the L
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Thanks for laying it out in a depressing way. I have man boobs and a big belly all I need is a mirror to tell me Im obese LOL. But I have started wearing some old XL shirts the past week or so. Its nice to have one less "X" in front of the L

I'm afraid it's tough love on the MFP forums! A 17lbs loss in a month is incredible - at the rate you're going you won't be obese for that long!
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your "bodyfat" percentage. Those calipers he's measuring with are VASTLY inaccurate. VASTLY. Just focus on your own measurements, how clothes are fitting, and how your health is improving. The % doesn't matter even for people in bodybuilding competitions, so don't worry your head with that totally subjective number.

Thanks for the supportive words. Im not a self conscious person and if it wasn't for the fear of leaving my wife and kids behind when I have a heart attack at age 35 or the fact me weight has started to interfere with my hobbies like Ice Hockey and Dirt Bikes I would be ok with who I am now.
    but your correct its just a number that is likely not accurate. The weight loss however is very real and that feels good.