Food scales - What is a good one?

Options
tallmominfl
tallmominfl Posts: 20 Member
What is a good brand and reasonably priced food scale. Just starting out and all new to this...

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You don't need to spend a ton, any digital food scale should be good enough. Mine is an Ozeri, it ran me right around $10 from Amazon. It's repeatable and has served me well. Just make sure you get one with a tare button.

Rigger
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a American Weigh Scales ME-5KG. It's around $13 and has a tare button which you will need.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Any digital scale that can hold what you're weighing and has a tare function will work great. Mine goes up to 15 pounds or so because I sometimes weigh stuff in a heavy glass bowl, but it doesn't even have to go that high. There's no need for an expensive one.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Idk what brand it is, but I just bought one off of eBay for 8 bucks. It works great.
  • fboudreau
    Options
    I picked up a Biggest loser one from Walmart for $20.00. Its digital and works great.
  • tallmominfl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now... what is a tare button?:smile:
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Tare is to like take away the weight from a bag or bowl or something. so you put the bag on the scale, press the tare then put your food on. its so you dont count the weight of the container. I use my little postal scale, it does grams, so it works for me.
  • ljoycew
    ljoycew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'll second the vote for the Ozeri -- it's sleek, people mistake it for an ipad when they see it on my kitchen counter.

The "tare" button starts the scale from zero. Put a bowl on the scale. Press "tare." THEN pour in the cereal. That way, you're not weighing the bowl -- only the cereal. Get it?
  • tallmominfl
    Options
    Thanks! I need to try and get one this week!