Eating right

Options
I used to have an eating disorder and still struggle with it today. I am trying to eat healthy and workout now, but its difficult. My goal really is to get a flat stomach. What should i be eating?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    there are no magic foods to give you a flat stomach. you can't spot reduce fat. If you're looking to "tone" then I'd recommend this:

change MFP to .5 lb per week loss... if that...
    eat that much.
    skip the cardio and start picking up heavy things.
  • minusonali
    Options
    i have been hearing that cardio helps burns stomach fat is this true?
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you do crunches? Crunches and twisting at the waist help get a flat stomach. The slower you do them, the more effective they are.
  • minusonali
    Options
    i have a trainer who writes out a workout program for me. I do cardio usually for 30 min and then weights for 15 min to 20 min and then abs for about 10 min. I workout 3 times a week sometimes 4.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    there is no spot reduction, so focusing on ab exercises, while helping to strengthen your core, will not eliminate fat in only that area.
    its tough to beat a compound lift for overall benefits.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    there are no magic foods to give you a flat stomach. you can't spot reduce fat. If you're looking to "tone" then I'd recommend this:

change MFP to .5 lb per week loss... if that...
    eat that much.
    skip the cardio and start picking up heavy things.
    there is no spot reduction, so focusing on ab exercises, while helping to strengthen your core, will not eliminate fat in only that area.
    its tough to beat a compound lift for overall benefits.

QFT
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do you do crunches? Crunches and twisting at the waist help get a flat stomach. The slower you do them, the more effective they are.

These help with core strength, they do not give you a flat stomach.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i have been hearing that cardio helps burns stomach fat is this true?

Only in the sense that cardio burns calories and will therefore help you create a calorie deficit so you can eat a little bit more. There is no trick to burning stomach fat. Your body burns fat based on your genetic predisposition. You can't control where it comes off when. Just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Lift heavy so more of that weight loss is fat and less of it is muscle. Eventually it will come from your stomach.
  • minusonali
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!