Is BYOB acceptable?

Options
sillyvalentine
sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
I want to throw a birthday party for my husband but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on booze. Is it socially acceptable to say BYOB on the invite? I don't want to show bad manners since we would be inviting his co workers and probably his foreman as well as friends and family. I also don't want to appear too poor. We already live in a trailer! LOL.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad since it will be a big party with about 15 - 25 people coming and going. I am providing appetizers and snacks and pop.

What do you guys think? What would you think if you got an invite to a birthday party that was BYOB?

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. It's also a good idea so they can't blame you for over serving them and them getting drunk. Make sure to let them know if they look too drunk and don't have a driver they lose their keys til morning.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd be totally happy with that.

So long as there's a fridge for the beer / booze, everyone can bring something and all have fun.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind, others may find it tacky. Perhaps get a pony keg and tell people they can bring what they want outside of that?
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    I don't see why not. It's also a good idea so they can't blame you for over serving them and them getting drunk. Make sure to let them know if they look too drunk and don't have a driver they lose their keys til morning.

Well, we live in a small town about 45 minutes away from where most of these people live so a lot of them will be staying over anyways or sleeping in their cars when the house fills up lol
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My thing is I'm already feeding your *kitten*...im not getting you drunk too. Maybe im just cheap like that..idk
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    I wouldn't mind, others may find it tacky. Perhaps get a pony keg and tell people they can bring what they want outside of that?

That's a great idea! I wonder how much a keg costs?
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    My thing is I'm already feeding your *kitten*...im not getting you drunk too. Maybe im just cheap like that..idk

Haha. I'm cheap too but I still want to impress people.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with BYOB especially if you aren't really drinkers.

However...I did find out it is bad manners to bring a couple of bottles of wine to a dinner party, and take the unopened bottles of wine back home with you. I got deleted from a few people's FB over that little faux pas.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    impress them with your snacks/apps

no one should complain about having to bring their own booze to a party
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options

However...I did find out it is bad manners to bring a couple of bottles of wine to a dinner party, and take the unopened bottles of wine back home with you. I got deleted from a few people's FB over that little faux pas.

thats crazy
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with BYOB.
    My BF's sister did that for her house warming / Christmas party, when the shindig was over they had a fridge full of champagne and several bottles of wine. (that wasn't the intention, just how it worked out)
    She said the party was a great success, and every one was happy to bring their own.

She did have one very sloshed guest who ended up spending the night. That individual was determined not to leave any of her drink behind.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options

thats crazy

I agree! I always take my unopened booze home. I guess I'm bad mannered.
  • wheird
    Options

That's a great idea! I wonder how much a keg costs?

Under 100.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    That seems fine to me. I can't imagine going to a party without bringing some time of booze anyway. If I get invited over to someone's house to play poker, I bring whiskey or beer. If I get invited over for cocktails, I bring wine. About the only events to which I don't bring drinks are those for which my company or a client sponsors and are not at someone else's house.
  • wheird
    Options
    That seems fine to me. I can't imagine going to a party without bringing some time of booze anyway. If I get invited over to someone's house to play poker, I bring whiskey or beer. If I get invited over for cocktails, I bring wine. About the only events to which I don't bring drinks are those for which my company or a client sponsors and are not at someone else's house.

Same here. For dinner I bring wine. For hanging out, beer or liquor.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

+2
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Same here. For dinner I bring wine. For hanging out, beer or liquor.

Yep. Oh, and "some time" = "some type." I seem to be having keys issues this evening, as in my fingers are hitting the wrong ones . . .
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    BYOB is totally OK.

Buy some Genesee or Genny Light for the community cooler for those that don't bring any.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    BYOB is totally OK.

Buy some Genesee or Genny Light for the community cooler for those that don't bring any.

I don't think we have that in Canada? Is that beer?

I think I'm gonna get a keg.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    BYOB is perfectly fine! I usually let everyone know to bring want the want. Besides, not everyone likes the same kind of booze. Some people won't drink beer, some people won't drink liquor. Look at it that way. :drinker: