need something clarafied please!

Options
Hey I've been tracking what I've been eating for a week now and I still feel unsure on the calories.

Myfitnesspal says that too lose 1lb a week my daily calories should be 2140 (I'm currently 198lb and 5'5", i think i put that i was lightly active because I'm running around after two small children all day and doing housework etc (normal stay at home mummy duties)

anyway when i add in breastfeeding calories (300 for older baby, my daughter is coming up for 7 months) that brings it up to 2440 and I'm doing 30 day shred which i put in as 20 min circuit training which is giving me 239 which brings my total to the day up to 2679!

Am i supposed to be eating ALL of them cause that seems like A LOT, will I still lose weight if I eat them all? :S should I have the settings at sedentary?

I have my diary open to anyone that wants to check it out for me, any advice is welcome (I just want to succeed!)

Thanks for reading

xxx

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am not really sure..... It seems really high to me....

I know that I couldn't lose eating dinners that were a thousand calories..
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Try what the calculators tell you. Monitor results. Adjust intake up or down as necessary. Rinse and repeat :-)

ETA: I used this calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), and entered 1-3 hours of light exercise per week. It says your BMR is 1703 and your TDEE is 2342, but that doesn't account for breastfeeding calories. Personally I would start with eating 2400 calories and see what results you get. Tweak from there. Good luck!
  • melissasimpson1420
    Options
    Thanks for replying, I normally have between 500-700 for dinner, my husband took me out for dinner last night though :D
  • melissasimpson1420
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) Suppose thats all there is for it! Think its the breastfeeding calories that are throwing me off xx
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yes, breastfeeding will make your daily calorie allotment seem CRAZY high, but it is accurate & it works! You don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories (the totals are often inflated) but aim to eat back about half. I am following the TDEE-% method, which is slightly different but results tend to be similar. My calorie goal w/ breast feeding my toddler is over 1900cal. It will probably seem like a ton of food at first, but your body will adjust. What has really helped me is to "graze" all day. My calories from snacks easily outnumber my meal calories! Consider yourself lucky that you are starting this journey w/ a free boost ????
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno about breastfeeding calories. Might pay to get medical advice regarding that, or at least talk to someone on here with experience.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It depends on your size, actitivity levels and the fact that you are breastfeeding. I eat at least 1900 at present (flat rate, rather then adding in exercise cals) and am losing just fine and I'm not feeding an infant.

You can experiment and leave it a couple of weeks to see if you get the results you want and reduce if not.

What works for one person may not work for you, it may seem high to people that do not share your requirements.

You are are a busy Mum and feeding a baby, you need energy, don't cut your calories drastically. Take it slowly and find what works for you.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm using the formula below and customizing the calories instead of going by MFP. It figures in your exercise so you don't eat back exercise calories etc. So far it's working. I got it from this site: http://funeralformyfat.tumblr.com/eatingenough

Step 1 :
    For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

Step 2:
    Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
    •1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    •1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    •1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    •1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
    •LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    •MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    •GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)
    •With this equation, you do NOT have to add or subtract on workout days vs. rest days. It makes it easy!
    •if you do not know your fitness level, take the AVERAGE between the two levels that sound like you.
  • melissasimpson1420
    Options
    Thank you everyone :D

I think I'll try it for a couple of weeks and adjust as necessary. I just feel like I'm eating constantly.

I wasn't eating as much before but I think it was just more unhealthy calorie dense foods.

Should I change my settings to 2lb a week?

xxx
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi.

That's what MFP tells me, too, but it's an error. I've never been able to eat almost 3000 calories a day, even when I was slogging up and down 3500 foot mountains every day. Even when I was seriously hiking, I could only eat about 2000 calories a day and even that much made me feel bloated and uncomfortable, the next day, when starting a new trek.

I would monitor your weight and calories closely (like the above post says) and then see what's a realistic number for you.

I don't want to discourage you in any way, but just using myself as an example:

I have the metabolism of my ancestors and right away, that says any more then 1500 calories and I won't lose weight. (There's a reason why the colonialists used Native American Indians as scouts.........they cost very little to feed and/or clothe........seriously........that's a true story...........a piece of pemmican and they would be fine running around the woods, for days. :(
    Also, yes, breastfeeding does add a significant amount. After all, you are making and secreting fluids, almost constantly. That takes a LOT of calories.

So.........yea, I would just monitor like crazy and keep watching, this is the only way you can find your ideal intake. MFP can only juggle average numbers and most of us aren't even close to being average. :(
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno about breastfeeding calories. Might pay to get medical advice regarding that, or at least talk to someone on here with experience.

You absolutely do need to account for breastfeeding calories. It can take 300-500 calories per day depending on how much milk you are producing. It is important to keep up your calories to keep producing milk.
    I'm no expert but I'm using the formula below and customizing the calories instead of going by MFP. It figures in your exercise so you don't eat back exercise calories etc. So far it's working. I got it from this site: http://funeralformyfat.tumblr.com/eatingenough

Step 1 :
    For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

Step 2:
    Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
    •1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    •1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    •1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    •1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
    •LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    •MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    •GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)
    •With this equation, you do NOT have to add or subtract on workout days vs. rest days. It makes it easy!
    •if you do not know your fitness level, take the AVERAGE between the two levels that sound like you.

This does not account for breastfeeding. If you prefer to follow it, I would still add on the extra 300 per day for BFing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try what the calculators tell you. Monitor results. Adjust intake up or down as necessary. Rinse and repeat :-)

This.
  • melissasimpson1420
    Options
    Thank you, I tried this and it came out nearly the same as the one I had from myfitnesspal before breastfeeding calories.

At least I know where I'm starting from.

Everyone has been really helpful.

Thank you

xxx