Starting 5K Training program

Options
I just started a 5K training program. I had done week 1 of C25K last week, then I found a new app. It's called Zombies, Run! They have it for regular running and training for 5K. I'm loving it! It's been a big help in just the first day of me doing it. I love the story script that plays along with the couching.

Would anyone like to join me in training for a 5K? I'd love some company along my journey! Whether you do C25K, RunDouble, Zombies Run, or another program. Let's train together and keep each other motivated! Who's with me?

Replies

• salvesol
    salvesol Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello!
    Good luck on your weight loss and exercising!
    I started the C25K just today. The first jogging minutes were ok but by the end of it my thigh muscles were sore! Also uphill is -really- difficult!
    I will go jogging on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

What are your first impressions about your running?

(Edited: running instead of jogging)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I have zombies run app. Freaks me out when its dusk and I'm all alone in a wooded park.

Good luck with your new found fitness/ nightmare fuel.

ps. telling a runner they are jogging, just really really gets them upset.
  • salvesol
    salvesol Posts: 15
    Options
    What's the difference between running and jogging? For me it is the same thing, but I am not a Native speaker.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Deja-vu - didn't I just read/answer this question in another thread? :huh:
  • capi99
    capi99 Posts: 21
    Options
    What's the difference between running and jogging? For me it is the same thing, but I am not a Native speaker.

I don't think that much... one is a bit slower pace, the other a faster constant pace... both offer benefits to the heart and overall fitness.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I'm on week 4. I think I'll paint a big "runner 5" on one of my shirts and see if anyone mentions it while I'm out.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

I don't think that much... one is a bit slower pace, the other a faster constant pace... both offer benefits to the heart and overall fitness.

There is no real difference. It is the same gait. Jogging usually just means a slow run, but it is all running. Slow is subjective.:drinker:
  • FitStelley
    FitStelley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm down for training "together". I'm running a 5k on May 10, and have signed up for a half-marathon in October. I'm following an 18 week training plan for my half, but have started it already so that I can allow myself time for bad days, injuries, bad weather, and allow myself to repeat a week if I am not ready to move on to the next week. I'm currently on week 2.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey!!

i'm starting week 6 of the zombies run 5k app tomorrow. my first 5k is march 22.

also i always took the difference between running and jogging to be more about how you approach it rather than your speed. joggers are more recreational not really concerned with doing races, making PRs, getting bling, etc runners are more competitive in terms of races, collecting bibs and bling.
  • jpfly
    jpfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried last summer. I'm sloooow and have asthma so it was tough. But I was really proud that I made it from not being able to jog more that a couple minutes to jogging for 30 non-stop. One thing that really bothered me, though, is jogging makes me feel like I have to pee. Constantly. Even if I stop and go. Has anybody else had that problem? The Zombies sounds interesting. I have to at least check that out!
  • amez357
    amez357 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have Zombie Run App! It's fun to listen to while running. I just finish season 1 today. I usually turn off the zombie chase though since I try to just go on my own pace. Anyway, I just finished my first 5k about a week ago (backlight run) and I'm off to the second one by the end of this month (color run). I actually trained for my first 5k; I ran almost everyday at the park for an hour 3 weeks before the event. It was really hard at the beginning since I literally started from couch to 3+ miles everyday at the park. Of course, I didn't start running 3 miles straight, I did it little by little; I would run as far as I could then power walk, then run again. But everyday I pushed myself to run further and further. And even nowI still can't run the whole 3 miles straight without stopping, but I can feel that my body can run longer now without much trouble. Anyway good luck with your training and feel free to add me. :)