Carbs?

Options
So MFP wants me to eat around 220 something carbs and 89g of protein does this seems realistic? and not sure if i know how to eat that many carbs or protein, kind of hard since i cook the food and my parents don't get chicken much or fish only roti and brown rice.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    You can customize your goals most do 40%protein 40% carbs and 20 % fat ....hope that helps
  • minusonali
    Options
    That helps thanks!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    you're welcome :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    University of Maryland Medical System: Protein calculator (Not appropriate for pregnant or nursing women & some health conditions) http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I read some info in Making The Cut by Jillian Micheals that help to determine my type of metabolism and what ratio might be best for my type of metabolism. I learned I'm a balanced oxidizer so I feel my best with 40% carbs, 30 % protein and 30 % fat. I found it helped me, maybe it will help you too. Here's the link if you want to find out what type of metabolism you have and what ratio might be best for you. http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating
    Also wanted to mention , maybe you could look at dairy products, like cottage cheese, milk and yogurt for protein as well.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've always stuck with this: 1 gram of protein for 1 lb of body weight, .4 grams of fat per 1 lb of weight, and the rest (whatever the number) in carbs. Which puts me at 40%protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you've been over weight and might be insulin resistant or if you come from a family with any history of diabetes or if you believe the NIH, you might want to keep your carbs under 35% (40% is fine) and try to make them ones that are naturally slow to digest.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Protein seems a bit low - carbs possible.
    Agreed if you begining, swallowing 220 grams of carbs might be a bit challenging at times.
    Both roti and brown rice are a good option (sugest you go for romali roti or chapati).
    Proteine is not only in chicken or fish but also in vegetables and dairy products (ei dhal / paneer).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I read some info in Making The Cut by Jillian Micheals that help to determine my type of metabolism and what ratio might be best for my type of metabolism. I learned I'm a balanced oxidizer so I feel my best with 40% carbs, 30 % protein and 30 % fat. I found it helped me, maybe it will help you too. Here's the link if you want to find out what type of metabolism you have and what ratio might be best for you. http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating
    Also wanted to mention , maybe you could look at dairy products, like cottage cheese, milk and yogurt for protein as well.

That's a really interesting article. Since it is about losing weight - what about maintaining weight?

I wonder how it relates to somebody who does a lot of cardio (runners, cyclists, triathletes) who - based on their endurance training - might need different percentages than the 3 types outlined? For instance, a fast oxidizer who has an ideal macronutrient ratio is 20 percent carbs, 50 percent protein, 30 percent fat. Wouldn't that have to be adjusted to the carb side to fuel 10-15+ hours of cardio per week?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    The other thing that linked article that JM was quoted saying about all 3 types: "avoid alcohol and caffeine".

Right...

:-]
  • rockyiachini
    Options
    Please accept the advice of someone who has been battling Type 2 Diabetes. 220g carbs are over twice the amount required on a 1200 calorie diet. The carbs should be105g (on a 1200 calories diet). You should seek the help of either a bariatric doctor or a registered dietian who can properly set your calorie, carb, protein, fat, & sodium goals.

My own bariatric doctor has set a rule that for each gram of carbohydrates, there should be an equal amount of proteins. Excess carbs will work against you. That is, they will eventually make you insulin resistant and will contribute to your adding excess fat and thus weight to your body.

There are many sources of protein other tham meat or fish such as legumes and beans. My own endocrinologist is vegetarian. You can explore protein sources in books applicable to a vegetarian diet without becoming a vegetarian.

Finally, when at your grocery store, look for gluten free products. I lost 9 lbs just switching to gluten free products. Stay away from whole wheat and whole grain or multi-grain breads; the carbs & gluten will work against you.

Good luck.