I'm allergic to fruits and most vegetables.

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Presumably you can eat some fruit if you can eat apple sauce. Just eat the fruits and veges you can and not the others, weight loss is all about deficit anyway.
    As far as filling up definitely proteins, so dairy like cottage cheese and yoghurt, meats like chicken, fish, or even jerky.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    You can't eat apples but you can eat applesauce? :huh:

Allergies can be weird like that. I'm deathly allergic to fish, but I can somehow eat canned tuna lol
    Why would you even try canned tuna if fish usually lethal to you? lol
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Allergies can be weird like that. I'm deathly allergic to fish, but I can somehow eat canned tuna lol

I tried it as a kid before I knew I was allergic to fish and didn't have a reaction. It's just really weird and I just have no explanation for it lmao
  • obsidianwings
    Options

I tried it as a kid before I knew I was allergic to fish and didn't have a reaction. It's just really weird and I just have no explanation for it lmao
    Oh I see that makes more sense lol. Weird.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    allergic to fruits and vegetables?? you mean u have some sort of anxiety issue with them right? don't think the human body would reject some blueberries and break out in rashes or throat closing up.

Are you being serious or joking?

Being allergic to fruits and veggies is very real, and for some can be deadly. Like others mentioned later on, being allergic to every (or most) fruits and veggies could very well be oral allergy syndrome and not a direct allergy to the produce. Depending on the severity, you may be able to get away with cooked/frozen produce as it usually kills off most of the offending protein. Allergy shots can help for some. Otherwise, just stay in a deficit and enjoy other foods instead.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends has OAS but only seems to be troubled by raw fruits and vegetables. I did a little bit of light reading when she told me about it and it seemed like a lot of people with OAS are the same way, no raw but can eat cooked fruits/vegetables. Do you know if that is the case with you?
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - I too have a bad case of OAS and am severely allergic to several trees and grasses such that I never can eat a small handful of fruits/vegetables (essentially all melons, cucmbers, pumpkin, and squash).

In the case of the fruits/vegs that flare up my OAS, I've learned over the years what seasons I can tolerate them - so for example I can eat citrus, peaches and plums right now without a problem, but by summer will only be able to eat them cooked. Same goes for bananas (can't eat them in December-February), apples (can't eat them in Sept-Nov), bell peppers (April-May). Try doing some online research and you'll get a full list of the fruits/vegs to avoid raw in certain months.

The answer for people like us is to get creative - eat fruits/veg out of season; frozen, canned, or cooked. Lightly steaming or even microwaving a troublesome fruit/veg for 30 seconds can help avoid the reaction.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a rare disease (1 in 300 people world wide have it) in which she too is allergic to most fruits, vegetables, chicken, beef, all nuts, some beans, as well as every single grain, wheat, barley, corn, soy, ect. It is a huge challenge to get anything healthy to eat on a daily basis for her. Her diet consists of all the food she hates, pork, turkey, bison, lamb, venison, she eats mostly black berries as that's the only fruit that doesn't seem to bother her, she can eat potatoes so we work with what we can. I would say have your allergist do a complete panel of testing and then refer you to a nutritionist who can develop a diet around what you can eat. She was having extreme high wbc and major bathroom issues because of this and doubled over in pain constantly before they figured it out. Avoiding all the foods she cant have has helped but it makes going out to eat impossible. Greek yogurt is a friend to her as that's where she can get some flavor and sweetness in anything.

edit to comment on above about tree and other pollens, she tested positive for almost all things there too, so is why her food allergy count is so high and very extreme, they had to stop and give her shots during testing as she went into shock.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    can you have popcorn? there are low fat versions that you can pop in the microwave and half a big bag is only around 140kcal.
    Cottage cheese can also be filling, you can have it with honey as a sweet snack and it's and only around 200kcal.
    then there are rice cakes with low fat cream cheese, plain yoghurt, soy yoghurt (barely a difference in taste), boiled egg.

Can't think of any other right now :P
  • mzbree53
    mzbree53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am allergic to fruits and most vegetables (:
    I don't exactly know everything that I am allergic to. I am experimenting on my own and my doctor has given me an epi-pen. With that being said, I am able to eat a small amount of fruit as long as I neutralize (which I'm not sure what it is that I'm neutralizing) it with a fruit dip. I can also eat small amounts of veggies by neutralizing it with fruit dip. It's hard to lose weight though because not all dips are good for you and most are fairly high in calories. I did find some recipes on Pinterest of low calorie diy dips which might help. Another thing I'm not allergic to is lettuce. I'll pre-cook chicken for the next four days (which many people don't recommend... but they don't have these allergy issues
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eggs, rice, cheese, crackers, protein bars (obviously check the ingredients for different brands), protein shakes... maybe? Good luck!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would try going with only whole grains in your breads to help with hunger because it doesn't create so much of a blood sugar spike and crash. I eat an Ezekial muffin for breakfast every morning and it keeps me full until lunchtime. For filling foods, try a small baked potato (easy on the butter and sour cream), a broiled chicken breast with brown rice, tuna fish and whole wheat crackers, a whole grain tortilla with refried beans and cheese, greek yogurt, protein powder in a yogurt smoothie, baked apples (without the skin), etc. to fill up. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water. Sometimes, your body will signal hunger when, in reality, you are thirsty.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to pineapple and am sensitive to the other citrus fruits. I can eat an orange or have lemon/lime in water but if I touch the skin and get the oils on skin that isn't my hands (particularly my face or neck) I break out into an itchy, blotchy rash. Not serious but annoying. The pineapple thing is a bit more serious as I have symptoms including itchy tongue and throat which I guess are signals that it could develop into something worse.
    I can eat grilled or baked pineapple though because something in the cooking process neutralizes whatever is causing my reaction. Applesauce is cooked so I am guessing that is why OP can eat it.

Here are some of my most filling snacks that aren't fruit/veg/nut based:
    Cheese sticks are 50-70 cals per
    Make homemade baked tortilla chips
    air popped popcorn (corn in that form is more starch than veg so hopefully you can have that) or buy Boom Chicka Pop or Skinny pop
    Make some homemade granola you can mix with plain Greek yogurt
    Laughing cow cheese wedge spread on a Wasa cracker
    Mix some protein powder and greek yogurt into the applesauce to make it more filling.
    Can you have seeds like chia or pumpkin? Those are also good fillers for applesauce and yogurt
    Hard boiled eggs (or prepared in a way you like)

Find out if you can handle cooked fruits/veg. If you can eat cooked fruits and veggies that opens up a lot of other snack options. With your limitations though check out keto - might work really well for you since it requires limiting carbs and you seem to be allergic to those.
  • april3888
    april3888 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find what healthy foods you AREN'T allergic to and stick with that for awhile. Add in some light exercise and eat at a deficit. Should result in some weightloss. Good luck.

@ monty619: No, I'm allergic to them. Literally allergic. I went to an allergist as well to be tested to make sure, and he was completely shocked. I still do eat them on occasion, but my main worry is anaphylactic shock eating too many fruits at one time. My throat gets itchy and irritable, and I do admit that I have anxieties about them because of my allergies. I try to take vitamins to make up for what I can't get through fruits and such.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking MFP is made for you. All you need to lose weight is eat in a deficit. Use your scale and log everything.

You are also worried about finding filling foods to keep you from feeling starved, and vegetables certainly help with that. If you can't eat most vegetables, then there are "light" foods you can use instead like rice cakes, sugar and fat-free puddings, sugar free Jell-o, puffed wheat and popcorn.

Protein and fat combos are satiating for a lot of people. Just watch the portions because they add up quickly. If you can't eat nuts, then eat cheese, Tofu, Greek yogurt and eggs instead.

As for making up for deficiencies, you can get your missing vitamins from a pill. I suggest a pregnancy vitamin to get the Folic Acid or take Folic Acid separately.

The other things you get from fruits and veggies are fiber and anti-oxidants. Metamucil and cereals can get you the fiber.

I am sure a health food outlet would be happy to point you towards some supplementary anti-oxidants. I suggest you try one product at a time and in small volume just in case you react to the supplements too.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My husband is allergic to most fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds when they're raw (oral allergy syndrome as others have mentioned) Does cooking them make a difference, OP? I'm assuming you nd your doctor have considered this, but I just wanted to check
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No fruit and veg? wow, that is just so sad.

I could cry its so depressing to think of it. :neutral: