Using Other People's Negativity For Motivation

Options
I know it's not nice to cash in on other people's misfortune for my own gain (or loss, in my case), but...

I don't care. ;)

My question to you is -> Have you ever used a negative thing that someone else is experiencing to turn it into something positive to keep you motivated? Sounds confusing. Let me give you an example.

On Valentine's Day of this year, my fiance and I decided to separate. (I know, right?!) Well, it's more complicated than that, but for brevity's sake we'll just say it was an emotionally abusive relationship and the decision to split was "mutual". I have been happier than ever, yet still have to live in the same house until my finances build up to get out on my own. Thus, I am still exposed to my ex on a daily basis. I have been happier than ever - exercising routinely, eating well, just being awesome in general. He, on the other hand, is constantly bringing fast food home, sleeping 12+ hours a day, and crying. I know it's not nice to use his pain for my gain, but I deserve it... and it's motivating me to do better for myself! AND I LOVE IT! :)

Anyone else have these moments in their lives and feel completely wonderful about it like me?

Replies

• bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Haha whatever works. I ended up quiting smoking (going on 5 yrs) cauae a couple ppl told me I couldnt,,,
  • jh270593
    jh270593 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your break up. I am also going through a break up but unlike you we weren't engaged/living together. It ended pretty badly with him throwing some nasty words out but now I look at his life and look at mine and realise he isn't living the life he wanted or earning the money he wants and I am so so lucky with what I have in life and so much future ahead of me, and knowing how I've lost over 10kgs and I'm feeling amazing! I do have a few down days where I miss the company but then I think of his unhappiness and it cheers me up!! Don't know if it's normal but it's definitely working for me :-)
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My motivation for keeping this going are all the people who see that I'm dramatically losing weight and tell me that I'm going to plateau soon... 10 months later... I'm still losing! IN YO FACE HATERS! :laugh: