T25 - a Modifier's perspective

Options
So, I'm on week 3 of Beta (8 weeks into the entire program) and I think I'm done. It's not that I'm giving up, I just don't enjoy the program anymore. I feel like I'm just going through the motions so it's time to find something that I will actually enjoy and look forward to doing.

What I liked about T25:

I like Shaun T.
It's only 25 minutes -- easy enough to get in before work in the morning.

What I didn't like about T25:

There is no focus on form -- just go as fast as you can. This is troubling for someone like me -- after taking FOREVER to recover from a significant back injury almost 2 years ago, there is no way I want to risk another injury.
I have to work out on carpet, so some of the moves are difficult as modified -- my shoes keep gripping the carpet too much!:laugh:
Some moves are difficult for me even in modified form. For example, when I go to do a spider, my hips just go "clunk". Ouch!

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the program. It's not bad, but it's not the end all be all either. I lost 8 pounds in 8 weeks, but that is probably more due to my diet than my exercise. I'm happy to see that some people love this and some people are getting great results! Everyone has to find what works for them.

So, any suggestions on another workout I should try??:wink:

Replies

• crystalbowler2014
    Options
    I am on week three of Alpha and I am not sure what is going on. I have not lost any weight and my legs still hurt when trying to do any of the moves. I work out in socks, so maybe I should try using shoes? It is getting to where my legs hurt so bad that I do not feel like I am getting anything out of the workouts because I cannot even keep up with the modifier due to the pain.

As far as suggestions...I really like Jillian Michaels videos. I'm going to try to stick to this and then move to JM Body Revolution.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There is no program out there that will give you great results without a proper diet. It is 80% diet and 20% exercise. That said, you you need a program you enjoy. T25 is great but you have to enjoy it and give 100% to get results. If you want slower and controlled but still like a program with a variety of workouts I would suggest Body Revolution or Chalean Extreme.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pretty confident I have my diet under control, so now I'm focused on finding a program that works for me and that I enjoy! I will look into both, JM and Chalene.
  • jencroki
    jencroki Posts: 30
    Options
    I did T25 Alpha only, I enjoyed it but is really tough, you are doing a whole workout in 25 mins so no breaks. That's why I always recommend my friends and customers (yes I'm a beachbody coach) that instead of going with the flow and the hype of a new product, to see what they like, because that's the important part in order to keep going you have to do something you like...is very important to know what your goals are in term of fitness and what kind of exercise you like and that's the right way to find the best option for you...instead of just going for what's new :)

If you need any help please let me know I can show you some options, just trying to help not doing business :)
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've done a few of the T25 workouts, all Alpha. I thought I could do them as afternoon doubles on top pf my morning P90X3 workouts, but the newborn twins aren't letting that happen. Even going back to Insanity, I found the lack of focus on form to be a bit disturbing. But, I also would slow myself down to make sure that I did it right before I did it fast. The T25 workouts seem to require a bit more choreography than i currently have. But I imagine I will get there. I do them on carpet as well, but don't have too much of a problem. My shoes don't seem to have enough forefoot cushioning as my feet start to hurt quite a bit.

If you feel you need a bit more slip to help with the pivoting moves, try a square of packing tape on the bottom of your shoes. It will reduce the friction and that will allow you to pivot easier.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did ALL of T25 including the Gamma phase. I wasn't super impressed and feel like my body did better with Insanity and the breaks given. I lost 15 pounds and about 12 inches, which I wont complain about but it really felt like a chore sometimes to get it done. I agree with you and I felt bad cuz I really like Shaun T!!! But in the end to have the motivation to finish a program you gotta like it!

Edited to add that I was doing them on carpet as well and a lot of the moves were hard on my knees.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    After 8 weeks I never lost a single pound doing T25 and I felt like I worked my butt off. After going to the dr to rule out (or in) a thyroid problem my bf suggested I switch from cardio to weights. Now I'm doing Arnold Schwarzenegger's encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding and after not changing my diet I lost 4 lbs in a week. This week is week 2 and I hope that the loss keeps going.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks into the Alpha and I am really enjoying it. But I tweaked my achilles tendon doing the Alpha cardio high kicks the other night and I'm trying to recover to get back into it. For anyone starting out I suggest a zero week to get your body used to the strain and get over the initial soreness. I've lost 2.4 pounds in the two weeks so far with a moderate diet change. It works but it is tough. Just need to get this tendon healed up quick so I can get back at it.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    After 8 weeks I never lost a single pound doing T25 and I felt like I worked my butt off. After going to the dr to rule out (or in) a thyroid problem my bf suggested I switch from cardio to weights. Now I'm doing Arnold Schwarzenegger's encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding and after not changing my diet I lost 4 lbs in a week. This week is week 2 and I hope that the loss keeps going.

Did your measurements change at all? Hmmmmm, with Insanity the last 3 weeks I never budged on the scale but my body morphed for sure. Did you notice any compositional changes?
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Did your measurements change at all? Hmmmmm, with Insanity the last 3 weeks I never budged on the scale but my body morphed for sure. Did you notice any compositional changes?

No change in measurements either. I did see a slight definition of what could be mistaken as a bicep, but that is about it. My jeans were still uncomfortable in the thighs and the stomach and I know my bat wings were just as large as ever.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    See that really surprises me, while though I thought the program wasn't the greatest I still saw results. 8 weeks is a lot of time to see no results :(
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost about 8 inches overall, most notably in my waist. So, not a bad program -- I'm just not motivated to do it anymore. I really need to enjoy my workouts, or I will just not work out at all. At this point, I feel I would do better just going back to the gym and alternating some cardio days with some strength training days until I find something else that gets me revved up. At least at the gym I can jam out to my tunes!
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    See that really surprises me, while though I thought the program wasn't the greatest I still saw results. 8 weeks is a lot of time to see no results :(

There have been mentions that some bodies react better to cardio, some react better to strength, and I don't know if maybe my body reacts better to strength or what. But it has been 2 weeks since I stopped T25 and I'm down 6 lbs! and I didn't workout (weights) for the past 2 days
  • carengomes
    carengomes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd round on T25 since a 2 year break and I immediately saw results. I'm only into my second week and noticed the inches melting off of my hips & waist and lost 3.2 lbs. It has a lot to do with a proper diet and maintaining a commitment to do the exercises. I started changing my eating patterns 3 weeks ago and the 2nd week is when I started T25 again, as I had to get my eating down before I juggle in workouts. I only do the modified because of an ACL surgery I had 2 years ago, so I still feel every bit of burn as if I'm doing regular workouts with breaks. I think T25 is a great program for people who don't have the time or don't want to put in too much time.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I really enjoy it and I definitely get results. I like the challenge of doing the workouts better and better each time, my focus is to give it my all in every move, to focus on the many useful tips Shaun is constantly providing... and to eliminate or decrease my lil rests!

Mostly, I like that it's short and easy to fit in (even though initially I missed the usual breaks soooo much!).

Maybe you can try some workouts from fitnessblender? There are tons of free ones in their website (fitnessblender.com) and youtube (search for fitnessblender workouts), and you can chose the length, intensity, style (low impact, kickboxing, hiit, bootcamp, strength training, etc.) There are some pretty tough ones, but they are gentler on joints and the back than T25.

Also, Sidney Cummings has great workouts and she posts a new one every day. She mixes cardio, with dumbbells and bodyweight... very complete. She's in youtube.

Good luck!