Help! Need to target my belly

Options
Help. I have been doing "Walk Away The Pounds" with Leslie Sansone and I can definitely feel my body changing. :-) BUT.......my belly isn't shrinking much and not firming. I had 3 kids, NOT C-section, and had a hysterectomy last year that couldn't be done laporscopic. So they had to cut me like a c-setion. I can't get my lower stomach to firm up. It's now like jello. Ugh! Any suggestions? I know sit-ups can help, but not really the lower belly area.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit + heavy lifting with compound movements = flatter stomach …

new rules of lifting for woman and starting strength are great resources….

Really, you just need to lose body fat to make your abs show more…honestly, doing a bunch of situ ups and what not is going to be a waste of time. Focus on losing body fat, and lifting heavy to recomp your body ...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts, and the reverse crunch where you lift your butt up. That one is kind of a b*tch but its a good one. ndj1978 is right about the fat loss though. Lie on your back, lift your legs STRAIGHT and make small circles. You have to also learn how to tighten/contract/engage your abs when you do exercise. YOu will knwo what that feels like when you do it. Start with pulling in your stomach while on your back doing crunches, as if you are trying to get your belly button to touch the floor. THEN do the exercise while this is happening. Sometimes you forget and let go but as soon as your remember, engage them again.

Also, and I see A LOT of women who do this, engage your abs when you are standing, walking, sitting. Too many women let their tummies hang and that's a problem. I've been engaging my abs since I can remember, since childhood. Posture is important too.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    sorry to say, but you can not target fat loss. your body loses it from where it wants to first, no way to change that. without surgery that is.....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit + heavy lifting with compound movements = flatter stomach …

new rules of lifting for woman and starting strength are great resources….

Really, you just need to lose body fat to make your abs show more…honestly, doing a bunch of situ ups and what not is going to be a waste of time. Focus on losing body fat, and lifting heavy to recomp your body ...

This^^^^

You can do 10,000 leg lifts or reverse crunches a day but if your body has fat in other places it wants to use first, it will. Add some cardio in there if you want (not needed) and follow the deficit and lifting and you'll succeed at getting a flatter stomach.