Question: Do you wipe down Barbells at the gym?

Replies

• archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    I've never seen anyone wipe down barbells or dumb bells in my gym. I don't do it either.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    If I'm using the bench press I'll wipe down the bench and then maybe wipe the bar really quick. If I'm doing deadlifts or using dumbells I don't go out of my way to wipe them down every time.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Wiping itself with the towel alone doesn't really kill any bacterias or germs.

Exactly.. So is the goal just to remove sweat? Or those who wipe down cardio machines - are you saying you wipe before or after you use? Or both? Are you talking Clorox wipe to disinfect? Or just a towel to remove moisture?

The YMCA where I workout has lots of paper towels and spray bottles with disinfectant spray around the gym. When I finish with a treadmill, I go and grab a paper towel and the spray bottle and wipe down everything I've touched. I don't bother cleaning it beforehand, just want to leave it clean for the next person.

I do not wipe down dumbbells or barbells and have never seen anyone do so.

I do wipe off the bench/seat/pads.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I don't wipe down barbells or dumbbells. I'll wipe down benches since they get back/butt sweat on them, and always wipe down cardio machines. I do make sure not to touch my face with my hands when I'm at the gym, and use hand santizer or wash my hands as soon as I'm done lifting before I leave.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I don't wipe down barbells for the same reason I don't wipe down all doorknobs or handles everywhere I go. We can't live in a germ-free world, so...

I do wipe off machines whether it looks like I sweat on it or not. I don't really want anyone to have to sit on or lean into my sweat. There's spray all over our gym for that purpose.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    So the gist I am getting is buy some gloves, wash them and don't wipe down the barbells. Will add gloves to shopping list!

(btw your piglet profile pic is adorable!)

If you are getting gloves to protect your hands from the un-wiped weights at the gym I'm not sure how that is going to help. I would think the fabric of the gloves would hold onto bacteria whereas you could easily wash your hands after lifting. Not to mention, they are fingerless.

If you are worried about it be sure to wash your hands before you stick your fingers in your mouth, nose, or eyes and you should be fine!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    I've never heard of anyone wiping down a barbell or dumbbell before.

Frankly, I hate the idea. I hope this doesn't gain acceptance or become widespread. It's a gym. A place of iron and sweat. Not a sterilized hospital operating room.

I'd also be pissed if I was about to use a barbell and it was even slightly damp from a wipe.

This. Some people are so scared of germs and cooties or whatever, but theres really no way around it so you may as well just accept it at the gym. You'll end up healthier than if you sat on your butt in your "germ-free" house.
  • I wipe down everything and make sure I scrub my hand when I leave - gyms are terrible for spreading germs
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I only wipe down anything I use that has a seat or back rest. Pretty much the only time I would wipe down a barbell or a pull up bar is if I tore my hands open and was bleeding. Or if the knurling has become excessively chalky and ineffective, then the bar needs a good cleaning probably beyond what I can do with a paper towel and some watered down disinfectant.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    I wipe them down when I use them for squats and I know I dripping sweat. Other than that I don't.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I don't. I wipe down cardio machines & benches.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I don't wipe down barbells for the same reason I don't wipe down all doorknobs or handles everywhere I go. We can't live in a germ-free world, so...

I do wipe off machines whether it looks like I sweat on it or not. I don't really want anyone to have to sit on or lean into my sweat. There's spray all over our gym for that purpose.

I'm not a germaphobe, I was asking for what is the polite thing to do.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I have been overly worried about pissing off fellow gym members.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    All the real germaphobes wipe everything down before they use it anyway, right? At least I certainly do.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I have been overly worried about pissing off fellow gym members.

You'll never make everyone at the gym happy, it is evident in all the posts here that complain about others at the gym. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    It's practically impossible to be germ free in a gym. While it's important to wipe of the sweat of benches or machinery one used, wiping off the handles on barbells and dumbells would be a lot of effort in vain. To be effective EVERYONE would need to do it and I don't see that happening.
    Don't want germy hands, just clean your hands off after using the bars and dumbells.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I carry a hand towel with me but that is to dry my hands. I have never seen anyone wipe down the bars. I will sometimes wipe down the bench if I am extra sweaty but I dont see others do that very often.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I haven't shared a barbell for years, but when i did, I didn't wipe down, I usually used gloves anyway. I don't think of it as much of a problem. Not like a sweaty wet bench!
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    I wipe where I sweat. No need to wipe down the bells, yet. But I did see a guy wiping his bar after use last night.

I am in no way a germaphobe, but I do wash my hands after I work out.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    The only things I see people wipe down at the gym are cardio equipment, mats, and sometimes benches/seats. I have never seen anyone wipedown a barbell, kettlebell, or a dumbbell.

My answer is no.
    ^^THIS
    My work gym has wall-mounted AB wipe dispensers, but I only use them on cardio equipment and weight machines that I sit/stand/kneel/lean on. My hands aren't sweaty, I'm not a germaphobe, and I wear weight gloves, so I don't see a reason to wipe down bar/dumbbells.