Bone broth and nutritional information

Options
Hello Everyone,

I've been having trouble figuring out the nutritional information for some bone and marrow broth I've made. All the options in the database seem to be so different. I only boil the bones with some vinegar and salt, celery and carrot for about 24 hours.

This broth came out pretty hardy, I had a cup of it with two meals today and after the second meal I was so full, I was going into a food comma. I will most likely water it down. I used about 1.3lbs of beef bones, and 1.4lbs of beef marrow bones along with 1 whole gallon of water and ~300g of celery and ~300g of carrot.

Any input is much appreciated.

Replies

• RachelFrost1
    RachelFrost1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find out the same thing for chicken stock. I am going to start drinking it daily but there are so many different estimates of calories. I think it is a lot different from the stuff you get in a carton from the grocery store so I'm not going with that. I also make venison stock and use it in soups and stews so I would like to find out a good estimate on calories for that too.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but has anyone found an answer. I would like to log my bone broth but not sure how to calculate it. Same ingredients as the OG poster plus I add 1/2 onion and a clove of garlic.
  • saracoppola
    saracoppola Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep, also wondering how to log this!! I have been so good about my macro ratios but I just have no idea how to log my beef bone broth!! My husband says to put it in as the marrow bones, celery, carrots, and onion that I use buttttt...I'm not actually consuming the solids, plus I skim the 1" layer of fat off the top too. It's throwing off my whole eating plan for the day!
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Me too, after the broth cools I pick that layer of fat off. Since I cant find an answer, I've been logging it as 50 calories. No clue if it is anywhere near being accurate. I am still losing weight so I guess it is not too big of an issue.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help or not http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2422683/2
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I make my own stock, but I log the store-bought, no sodium ones. I have no idea how to determine the calories and since there are so few, I don't really care.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    threadmad wrote: »
    Don't know if this will help or not http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2422683/2
    wow 280 calories for 8oz, I have been way underestimating it.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I make my own stock, but I log the store-bought, no sodium ones. I have no idea how to determine the calories and since there are so few, I don't really care.

I don't know if homemade bone broth is the same as the store bought ones. The flavor is so different and feels a little more dense vs the store bought ones that taste very light and watery.

I wonder if it also depends on what type of bones are used.
  • threadmad
    Options
    It probably does, but that was the only link I found that,gave nutrition info. I even checked US D A but they only showed caribou!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bone broth (or as we used to call it, broth) has a few more calories than the thinner stock that you buy in the store, but not that many, assuming that you skim off any fat that hardens on the top after it cools. The "body" and the calories come from the gelatin that cooks out of the bone marrow, so the thicker the broth is when its cold, the more calories it has. There is an entry in the MFP database based on the USDA item here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1286 . Look for "beef stock homemade."
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bone broth (or as we used to call it, broth) has a few more calories than the thinner stock that you buy in the store, but not that many, assuming that you skim off any fat that hardens on the top after it cools. The "body" and the calories come from the gelatin that cooks out of the bone marrow, so the thicker the broth is when its cold, the more calories it has. There is an entry in the MFP database based on the USDA item here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1286 . Look for "beef stock homemade."

The reason I call it bone broth is because it is different than regular broth or stock. Bone broth is cooked for a much longer time in order to get all the minerals and gelatin out. I do skim off that fat after it cools but mine comes out really thick, had no idea 8oz had that many calories. But now that I think about it, makes sense. Ugh basically I should be estimating around 200 for it. Thank you for the link.
  • threadmad
    Options
    I searched for "bone broth nutrition " and got a lot of hits, but most were articles with no info on the macro/micro nutrients. I looked through the first 5 pages then gave up. I didn't look at beef broth nuttition, but it just seems like bone broth will have better values.
  • pknuckle9
    pknuckle9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just found this.https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2041648. Sounds reasonable. Hope the link opens.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I use the information from USDA 06172, Soup, stock, chicken, home-prepared. I figure it's close enough for what I make.